GUN Anyone use Gold Dots for Defense? Found a pretty good deal on 'em

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by itchiban, Dec 27, 2003.

1. itchiban

itchiban Guest

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

my Kimber .45 is loaded with 230gr Speer Gold Dot hollow points

3. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Yeah, I guess I'll shoot an email asking about these bulk packs. A friend of mine told me that he's heard of LEO's getting bulk packs and thats what these are. But ill check first. I did do a reliability check with my hydras, and will still carry them until I feel comfortable with another brand. I saw this deal and have heard good things about GDHP so i figured i'd get em a whirl.

Thanks for the advice. ;)

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Don't use the bulk pack Gold Dot ammo for defense, they have primer issues, that is why they are cheap.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, if i remember correctly, those particular bulk packs you've shown up there ARE the ones that have a failure rate too high for normal packaging. not to say you'll ever find a failure in them, but it's not something to chance. what those packs are good for is practice. if you want to practice with the ammo you carry, get some of the normally boxed GDHP, carry it. take the bulk stuff to the range so you know how it shoots in your pistol. when my friend had his G34, we bought a couple of boxes of that bulk stuff to shoot in it because it was as cheap as buying PMC or good winchester to shoot at the range.

my two best friends use gold dot 124 gr. +P's in their G19's. i got my dad a box of the same for his G17 for crimmas.

6. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I use Gold Dot's in my carry pistols. They are very good.

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

okay, i did some research on the bulk boxes:

they are what i thought there are, and yet not. they are, in fact, less reliable than normally boxed ammo. but, it is a primer issue. see, something like 1 or two more primer failures in 100,000 throws it outside the FBI's strict requirements for its allowed carry ammo. so, when a lot displays such qualities, it's put into bulk boxes for legal reasons. that way, it's packaged separately than the "allowed" ammo. if you, as an FBI agent, shoot someone with the bulk ammo, or have some sort of problem with it, the FBI is not held responsible, because you were using "unapproved" ammo.

however, the tiny number of extra primer failures in 100,000 is still within the specs for other carry loads, so i would not worry about it. i was thinking it was more like in the double digits, the number of failures per 100K.

my dad just recieved a box of 147 gr. 9mm GDHP tonight for crimmas. it works as well as the 124 gr. +P.

8. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Yes, see my first post.

9. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Good job on the info. Glad I didnt order them yet. but they still might be good for the range if you carry the premo GD's.

:bigthumb: