anyone use drobo with their mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Mar 4, 2009.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

my (completely awesome) girlfriend bought me a new mac mini last night, and i'm going to use it for boxee with my TV.

for all my stored movies / TV, i'm looking to hook it up to a nice NAS. i like the DROBO because it seems like it won't need a lot of maintenance and tinkering to get going. i've thought about Qnap and other NAS devices, but overall i'm going for ease of use.

so, for $349 they have a USB 2.0 version that i could attach to my Airport Extreme and share with all the computers on the network, rather than having it attached to the mini and needing to have the mini AND the other computer turned on for file sharing.

for $499 they have a newer version that has FW800, "better USB 2.0 performance" and apparently "runs cooler and quieter." the new mini has FW800.

what do you think?

2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I have had both connected to my Mac Pro. I replaced the original with the FW versions, mainly due to the FW connection since I wanted to free up another USB connection and wanted the speed. It does seem to run cooler than the older version and of course FW800 is faster.

If you're running it constantly, I'd go for the FW version. If you are going to turn it on and off when needed, it wont matter. If you're streaming large amounts of data, I'd also go with the FW800 version if you have that capability (not sure if the minis have 800). If not, the USB peformance should be similar.

I use two FW versions for backup, but do not keep them running constantly.

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

FW800 >>>> USB2 in terms of performance and CPU overhead. Worth the extra cash.

4. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

funny thing is I've found a ton of sites selling the FW800 version for closer to $400, which is hilarious.

this might sound stupid, but i could i connect use both the USB and FW cables at the same time - one connected to the Mini and the other connected to the airport extreme?

EDIT

forget it, found my answer:
    Question:
    Can I use both interfaces, USB & Firewire on Drobo V2 (2nd Gen) at the same time?

Answer:
    Drobo V2 (2nd Gen) supports both USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 interfaces. You can only use one Drobo interface connection to your computer. If you plug both USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 cables from the Drobo to your computer, Drobo will select USB 2.0 by default, we recommend you never configure your system in this manner.

Select one interface for use. If you do need to change to an alternate interface, safely shutdown your Drobo System by putting it into Standby first, then turning off power. Change the interface cables on the Drobo system, them power the Drobo system back up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009