A&P Anyone use aperture?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Kelvin96GSR, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

A bit confused on how aperture is storing my photos, could someone explain?

I think my photos are in a "vault" but I can't find them on my HD but they're in aperture....

2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Vault is only a backup.

It depends on how you have Aperture set up to store your photos. You can either use "managed" which will store the images in the Aperture Library, or "referenced" which will only keep the adjustments in the Library and will keep the originals wherever you tell it to keep them.

If they're in Aperture and you cant find them on your hard drive, sounds like you let it use "managed" files. They are in the Library, which by default is in your "pictures" folder in Finder.

If you do not want to use "managed", then just go into the project you want to move, then go to FILE->Relocate Masters then you can tell it where to put them. If you ever want them back in the library, you go to FILE->Consolidate Masters.

If you use "managed" files, then you can use the Vault feature, which will create a backup of the library wherever you want to store it. This is a great feature that you can use to update the backup whenever you make changes. You cannot use Vault if you use "referenced" files because Aperture feels that if you're using "referenced" files then you will handle all the backup yourself.

I like "managed" files because its easier to backup and I think runs faster if you have a large library. Also, you can find all the individual photos in the Library if you really need to find the individual ones.

I create a new Library for each year so that it doesnt get too big, which will eventually cause it to run slower.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you can also steal pictures from the aperture library by exporting them, or by finding the library 'file' (probably in Pictures), and right click > show package contents.

4. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

Thank guys:bigthumb: