Anyone use a PC for a car stereo system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Wizard of Poz, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

I was thinking about maybe getting a Shuttle PC or a mini system from http://www.directron.com/ezgo.html for a in car DVD/CD/VCD/MP3. Does anyone know a good set up?

I mean do you think a 10 key keyboard would work fine? I mean how would yo go about navigating? Is there a way I can get a touch screen LCD and navigate windows that way? I would rather not have to use a mouse at every intersection to change songs etc.

Also being in my car what is a good OS to load onto it? It doesn't need to be fancy just enough to run winamp or whatever and also be able to load quickly! I think ME loads in 30 seconds? But is there any other os either windows or non windows that could load any quicker and be more reliable?

I belive linux and windows ce are the quickest loading and should be compatable for all the software I need etc.

2. zyg0te

zyg0te I've made a huge mistake.

a guy on hard forums did it with some sort of ford. the job looked good the car didnt

3. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

only if you have $$$.

computer + touchscreen = $1000+

linux would be the best in my opinion.

you would need a way to power the computer as well and keep it running so it doesnt fuck up when you turn the car off.

you would probably need wireless internet to update songs.

you really have to plan it out, and think from EVERY angle.

4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

A guy I know did this also for way under $1000 his setup is like this....

Ipaq pocket pc $170.00 (ebay)
    PCMCIA sleeve $50.00 (ebay)
    IBM HD 40 GB $100.00 (ebay)
    Addonics Pocketdrive enclosure $40.00 (ebay)

Its a touchscreen too

5. ap

ap New Member

Click here if your browser does not automatically
    Seriously... if all you want to do is play mp3s and watch dvd's, get one of these: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...&c=3&g=62600&I=130DVHP500&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N and call it a day.

DVD player, mp3 support, in dash, all you gotta do is hoook up a cheap screen and you are set. (You can prob. get it cheaper elsewhere too) And then you don't have to worry about powersupplys ($$$), wiring ($$$), skipping (computers are NOT built for the harshness of the road), loading an OS (how annoying), and using winamp to control your files (how gay), being limited to the sound quality of your sound card (lame), and fumbling around with a 10key in order to select files and functions (how silly).

Unless you plan on surfing the internet, playing games, word processing, or digital imaging while you are driving, a PC in your car is completely useless and non-functional.

6. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator