Anyone that knows about packet shaping, explain this to me

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i work for IT at my school and we have a packeteer

a friend told me about this a couple weeks ago but just got to try it for the first time last night

on bit torrent i can get about 2-3k max...most other downloading programs i can get less...on mirc, from some people i can get 20k and others i can't connect...here is what i found out last night: people that are in a .edu domain (from another school anywhere around)...the files don't seem to be packet shaped...as in i was getting 100k+ which is ridiculous at this school

any explanations? they even started slowing down our on campus aim file transfers...it used to be ridiculously fast but now the best we can see sending to another person on campus is about 80k

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Packeteers, at their core, adjust TCP window sizes by manipulating ACK packet timing. They are designed to smooth the flow of traffic and prevent buffering at the routers. What makes them so cool (or hated, depending on your point of view) is that they can seperate traffic, even on the same port, by protocol or even by traffic type within a single protocol (file transfers via AIM, for example). So they can tell the difference between, say, kazaa on port 80 and web traffic on port 80. They allow the admin to set rules (max bandwidth, bandwidth priority, disallow, etc) based on protocol, destination, source, etc. They are a bitch to bypass because you can't just route your P2p over port 80 and fool it. Oh yea, you can also setup rules for unknown protocols. So even if it does not know what it is (and they do keep their protocol lists up to date) it can shape it.

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

can you explain why the .edu to .edu transfer is going so fast? if they packet shaped irc and the type of dcc file send they use, wouldn't all of irc be packet shaped?