MIL anyone that has used their GI Bill..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by widds2v, Jan 13, 2008.

1. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

VA site gives almost no details about how it actually is given, just how to apply for it.

According to the VA site, full time students receive $1,110 a month for 36 months. Now does this mean you only receive it for the 16 weeks you're enrolled for that semester, and you receive no money during the summer months? Or once you sign up do you receive funds 12 months out of the year for 3 full years?

Also how is money received, direct deposit or check?

And finally that $600 kicker, can it be started at any time or was that a time limited thing when they started offering it? Cause $5400 extra for $600 seems like a good deal.

2. NPH

NPH Guest

The GI Kicker is a fucking hell of a deal. An additional $150 per month on top of the regular MGIB payment. Worth it! You have to contribute towards it while you are still in. Otherwise, it's too late and forget about it. You can get the GI Bill payments via check or you can fill out another form for direct deposit.

I almost started withdrawing on it this semester, but change of plans at the very last minute. I will definitely start using it up later this year though. Might as well, specially after doing the kicker myself.

From what I did read on the VA site.. Make sure your school accepts the MGIB. You have to complete form 22-1990 that you can download from the VA's site and then turn that shit in to the VA. Then you have to validate/confirm your enrollment by calling in some number or also doing it online. Then they send you payment (based off the pay-chart). That's as far as I understood. :dunno:

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Ya im probably gonna start the kicker here next payday or two, I have like 14 months until I seperate. I wouldn't be using the MGIB for tuition, that is covered by the IVG (Illinois Veteran Grant) which pays for 4 years of full tuition + fees for me have serving in the military. MGIB probably go towards my housing fees which they put at around $4000 a semester. If I do the kicker I'll get $5000/semester which would cover the room, IVG covers tuition, lab fees, paperwork fees, etc... save the extra $1000 every semester for the 4th year when MGIB cuts out, have myself a free ride through.

4. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

ok I guess the 36 months is 36 academic months, so 8 semesters or 4 years. you have to do some 2 minute thing on the VA site every month to receive benefits for that month (probably just saying your still enrolled). you can then receive a check or direct deposit.

5. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

you got a 600$ kicker? what fucking branch lol

I thought I had the most with 350

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Navy, im gonna have to swing by disbursing because i downloaded the form you have to send in, but nowhere does it say how much you want to contribute. it just says for every $4 you contribute you get $1/month extra, so $600 gets you the extra $150/mo. You can contribute any amount in multiples of $20 upto the $600, but doesn't have a field to enter in what you want to give ><

7. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

way over my head lol, but it sounds cool

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was getting like $1600 a month from the GI Bill ftw. how , you ask? I opted to pay $600 for the kicker while I was in the Marine Corps. I the joined the CA Air guard, and was given an additional kicker as an incentive. Too bad I'm losing that second kicker now that i'm going back to the Corps. I wonder if the clock is reset as far as how long I have to use my benefits.

You can also keep receiving benefits during semester breaks, if you are enrolled in the following semester. Of course you use up a month without being in class at the time, but you can save that money or use it to pay other bills you may have.

9. NPH

NPH Guest

Not sure about the clock reset. I would call the VA and find out. They give you 10 years to use it from separation date.. So even if it doesn't reset (which would be dumb if it doesn't), that's still a shitload of time to get your degree.

10. shiba

shiba Active Member

Not really sure what one of the poster meant by if the school accepts the MGIB, but as far as I know, so long as you prove you are in school, you will get the MGIB.

It is only paid when you are in school. it will be cut off at the end of each semester, and reinstated at the beginning. You will have to fill out a form and turn it in to the school's VA to verify that you are taking courses.

The kicker last for the duration of your benefit.

I got mine through direct deposit which is a better way to go anyways.

11. Asherman

Asherman New Member

The GI Bill helped pay for my education, but that was a long time ago. I'm sure things have changed a whole lot in the meantime. I got checks mailed to me personally, that I used pretty much at my own discretion. The checks came in advance of the semester, and if you didn't complete the term you had to pay the government back. I had already spent the money advanced for my second year in law school, and couldn't continue because I had failed the Baby Bar by 12 points. Disaster was upon us. A quick enrollment into a Master's program saved the day, and I never did go back and complete my legal studies. It didn't seem to matter, and the stuff I learned in law school more than paid for the blood, sweat and tears involved.

12. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Shit's deep, son.

lol

13. NPH

NPH Guest

So how can one use the GIBill for "other" expenses? I used to hear about people living off that shit :rofl:

14. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

I don't think they care what you use the money for as long as your enrolled in some sort of training. I guess you could theoretically sign up for a basket weaving class at the community college and collect a couple hundred a month (there are tiers for what you get paid), and it would last you near the full 10 years you have to use it after you get out.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You can't just enroll in any class and expect to receive benefits. You have to have a major picked out and take those necessary classes towards that AA, BS, etc.. At least here in CA.

16. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

You have to submit a degree plan before they'll release the money.

17. shiba

shiba Active Member

The money goes directly to you. You can do whatever the hell you want with it.

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Seeing as you can receive benefits for taking ONE class, pretty sure you dont need a degree plan. You can take $$ out of the MGIB to get certs, take a basketweaving class, whatever. Granted the basketweaving class is only going to give you $275 a month while your enrolled.