Anyone that has setup PHP and mySQL, come in here please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrburner, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

I'm having a lot of trouble installing these and getting them to work properly...i've tried a number of online tutorials, but when the test file to see whether or not php and mysql are working properly isn't working, i can't really continue on

this is on windows xp using php and mysql with IIS

i have php working properly (as far as i can tell) because when i write the php test script
    <?
    phpinfo();
    ?>

it gives me a huge page of info about how php is working on my computer

it also says that if mysql is installed, there will be a section on this within this phpinfo file...i see nothing

i am setting up mysql using a given executable file that should install itself...i can start my mysql server as well as view the test databases that mysql comes with as well as view the contents (it only comes with one called test which is empty)...all of this i have to do through a command prompt window (starting the mysql server, stopping it, viewing db tables, and their contents)

i mean i think i have both of them installed properly as they were both just installer executable files...i just can't seem to get them to link together with each other

one of the tutorials i went through suggests that i download phpmyadmin, but after downloading that, i can't get it setup properly because of this part of the documentation

1. Open the file config.inc.php in your favorite editor and change the values for host, user, password and authentication mode to fit your environment. Here, "host" means the MySQL server. Also insert the correct value for $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri']. Have a look at Configuration section for an explanation of all values.
    i am a beginner when it comes to any php or mysql, but i have a very large database program that i need to write within the next 6-7 months (plus the time it will take to figure all of this out)...but i'd like to start programming as soon as possible and start getting through the tutorials as soon as possible, but i just can't seem to get this up and working properly...does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? can anyone give me any good pointers? i have tried going through the documentation, but after awhile it gets fairly confusing

i am a pretty advanced computer user but just really new to this and after spending awhile on the tutorials and help documentation, i'd just rather see if someone can help me out because at this point, it feels like i'm wasting my time and not getting anywhere

2. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Well, personally, I've never tried to install PHP and mySQL on a Windows machine running IIS, so I won't be much help in that regard. Is there a specific reason you're trying to run this on a Windows box instead of a Linux box running Apache? Most Linux distros out now have PHP and mySQL available right out of the proverbial box...

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't bother listening to werureo... there are MANY reasons to use windows.

Anyway, to aide you in your quest,what problems are you having, then?

it sounds like php and mysql are properly installed, already... is this to install phpmyadmin?

4. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

my main problem is getting the two to link together

i have a feeling that both php and mysql are installed properly, but on the phpinfo.php file i made it doesn't show any info about whether or not mysql is working properly (and in the tutorial, it says that it would have a mysql section)

how can i see if these are working together? the tutorial that i'm using www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql says that creating a table in php is more difficult than creating one in mysql, but i just don't know how to create one in mysql...i know some mysql through a databases class that i have taken, but we never got into setting up databases or anything like that

so basically how do i setup a database? am i setting all of this up using a txt file and naming it to .php when i'm done? if so, how can i tell that mysql is working? and if i should follow what the tutorial says and use phpmyadmin, how do i setup that section i was having problems with?

basically, my project is to setup a parts database...i should create a file and be able to parse the file into my database and link this with php so i can display it...the tutorials are just somewhat confusing, especially when it comes to setting this up...i have a feeling that i'll be ok once i can get this going as most of it will just be fairly repetitive programming

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

i have a ridiculous number of windows machines at my disposal but only 1 linux machine (my laptop)...i just installed linux on it for the first time and am just teaching myself to use it...so i'm not proficient enough with linux to be comfortable with using it for this large project

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You could also just install Apache on the Windows machine. I had Apache/PHP/MySQL running on a Win98 box just fine this summer (and before everyone jumps in on me, it wasn't hooked up to the internet, it was just for me to internally test a webpage at work where my only option was Windows and I didn't have internet access at my desk).

7. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

does that help my problem of linking mysql and php together though? does apache do this easier than iis?

8. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

As for PHP recognizing MySQL, it depends on the version. I'm hoping you're using the latest and greatest v4.3.x. If you're using v5, then I'm not sure what you'd need to do. But MySQL support comes with PHP v4.3.x automatically and v5 may have it as well. You may want to consult php.net for the ultimate say in configing PHP for MySQL.

I'd also assume you have MySQL running as a service. If so, make sure the service is running.

Setting up and running phpMyAdmin is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It'll allow you to setup your databases and tables as well as browse and tweak the data as needed.

As for loading a text file and naming it to php, this won't work at all. You're mixing a couple concepts up. MySQL from the command line can load a CSV file (and do it uber-fast). You can write a PHP script to do the same, but its a bit more work.

As for Linux vs Windows vs IIS vs Apache, I definitely have my opinions, but this thread appears to be about making MySQL work...

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

apache on windows (not talking about linux here) is very insecure. IIS is much better than apache on the windows platform.

of course, apache is a very stable/secure choice on linux.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, in fact, setting up php and mysql with apache becomes more difficult than IIS.

11. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

its an easy install, if you are still having problems I could term serv into your PC to take a look at your config... just PM me

12. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I didn't have any trouble, I just installed all three and they magically worked :dunno:

I don't really know anything about security of servers on Windows, so you're probably right that IIS is easier to secure than Apache.