MIL Anyone that has been in Iraq

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Insdav3, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

How did you go about bringing a personal effects without getting damaged?

I'm a n00b.

2. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

as in TV?

3. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

yea seriously, what kinda personal effects are you planning on bringing?? for me, it was anything i could fit in two duffle bags and a ruck sack along with an assult bag. so 90% of what i brought was army shit, uniforms, underwear, pro mask, mop suit, ect.

as far as personal shit, i put pictures and my laptop in my assult bag which never left my side the whole ride up.

keep in mind, as far as electronics go, IF you do plan on bringing any, make sure they're compatable with 220 volts. laptops are. but somethings might not. the states use 110 volts, but here its double. so if you plug a 110 into a 220 socket, you'll fry whatever it was.

guys so far have bought tv's and xboxs and shit here, but it has to stay here in iraq. so they just sell it to the next unit replacing us.

any more questions? feel free. i'll be here in this god forsaken country for another three months. :wavey:

4. bigfodee

bigfodee Active Member

typical day?

5. Lacuta

Lacuta :OG:

yep, make sure you get a power converter for your electronics to be usable in 220 Volts as well as whatever frequency the power is being supplied at. (The US uses 110-120 Volts @ 60 Hz... a popular overseas is 220 Volts @ 50 Hz.)

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Is it worth buying a laptop on the net and having it shipped? My MOS is supply anyway so I'm sure I can keep it nice and safe.

7. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

If you want to bring a tv, ps2, xbox, etc...don't really plan on bringing it. Usually units leaving will sell the shit for dirt cheap.

I don't know any laptop companies that actually ship to APOs. Might as well bring it.

Keep in mind anything you do buy from Iraq...the big shit, plan on selling it again. Its going to be a pain in the ass to ship shit back the next 6months-18 months.

8. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

sand in cooter = teh lose.

9. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

weak...

10. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

why you trying to put AF against Army....it should be AF and Army vs navy and Marines.

11. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

there is a guy named darky who posts in here so i am assuming that was directed to him...

12. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Scheduled for June, but my unit has been rescheduling for 5 years and have never gone. :dunno: Just curious on some issues.

13. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

sand really isnt an issue if you're in baghdad. we have more dust storms then sand storms. and it really isnt that bad. however, if you're on the outskirts of baghdad, living out of a fucking tent or something, then yea.... you might need to be more careful with your computer/electronics.

14. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

Put the shit in your connex.

15. evan2

evan2 Guest

the only big electronics I ever bought was my mp3 player and ps2.. during the war my moma bought me one becuase I ended up getting stuck over xmas and had no idea when i was going home
    then took it to qatar and left it in our lil back room at the office with bedrooms and tvs.. but we are air force and get the good shit

you can mostly buy shit over there like they said, my job always has my own comp so i never worry about comp stuff though sometimes i bring a extrnal hdd with shit on it

but for the most part dontbring too much junk.. and whats this you cant take shit home with you ? is this an iraq thing or a non AF thing becuase i been 3 times and never once couldnt take nothing back besides the usualls like cigars and fruits etc.. i have many things that i didnt bring with me that i took back

and for the most part the base will have power in tents that is 110, idont know about iraq but the only part of qatar that was 220 was the newly built trailers which was now the living quataers for all..

they had 220 becuase it was easier to go off the local power then having to run a bunch of generators, we didnt have enough to support it plus local power is cheaper nad easier then having to constantly monitor a bunch of mep 12s and shit

ive never had an issue with power in the desert
    in england yes i have.. i have a bunch of converters but check your stuff most things out there are dual voltage

though the few things in the house that arent are on converters which just suck ass..

16. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

I'm in iraq now and they sell all types of electronics n shit at the px ... including a single model laptop.

I plan on buying one online. If they cant ship it straight here, I'll send it home and have them send it to me. I might extend out here so It will be worth it.

Mostly, units leaving sell all their big stuff to us, Refrigerators, TV's ... xboxes and ps2s they usually take with them or ship home.

they got us in some broke as buildings but we'll be moving into 2 man cans soon and those are better. sand wont get in them that much cause it has a door n shit so its cool