Anyone taken the A+ recently?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PSUPef2K, Nov 15, 2004.

1. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Was it difficult? How did you prepare? I have a book I could study from, but I'm a shitty test taker and I need to get this certification before the 1st of the year. I troubleshoot PCs everyday, but I'm not up to speed on IRQs and stuff like that.

Any advice? Should I take a prep class?

:dunno:

2. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

3. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

4. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

wait a minute...

is that the exact A+ test on there?

5. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

*coughs and looks around*

I uhh, just googled that, so I'm not really sure what's on it...but if I were to hypothetically guess...

People who take the tests that know about the site, log in after the test, add the questions they saw, the answers they saw, and the answer they believe is right with the rational behind it. then put the date on it, So you could hypothetically have an UP TO THE DAY printout of a possible test...

hypothetically speaking of course...

For the record, my A+ test took 15 minutes, and I didn't study a single day.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yeah, A+ was a joke when I got it (2 years ago).

I think those are actual questions on previous tests. A good study tool, but prolly not a good idea to think you could just cheat with it.

7. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

Unfortunately, the new A+ tests (after september 2004) are 220-301 and 220-302...

oh...that is what those dumps are for!? :eek3:

8. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

:eek3:

but do you have a significant hardware/software background?

My worry is IRQs and shit like that that I don't really even use in my day to day work. :hs:

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

When I took my test about 3-4 years ago, I bought an A+ book from Barnes and Noble. The book came with a CD full of study questions. I just kept running through them until I took my test.

As for the IRQ's, just memorize the common ones like the com ports and such. If any, you'll only see 2 or 3 questions on it. I believe it is still adaptive, so if you answer one or two right, you shouldn't see any more.

Now if you are willing to pay a few bucks for a study guide, check out www.fravo.com. I used a lot of their guides when I was working on MSCE 2000. Each guides gives you about 400+ questions. To study I just kept running through them over and over. When I took my test, about 80% of the exact questoins in the study guide were on the test word for word. Well worth the $$ for the exams.

10. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

I have 6 years of professional computer tech work for real companies, 90% of the bullshit on the A+ isn't used in the real computer repair world.That's why I went to brain dump, because I didn't feel like studying some bullshit Roots sized book on shit i"m not going to use. Printed out braindump, studied the questions and answers for 2 hours before the test, took the test, passed it in 15 minutes. Best thing I"ve ever done.

for the record I took my A+ about 2 years ago, so I don't know if the shit on the current one us useless or not.

11. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

yeah, they changed the test as of sept 2004. Now it's the 2003 objectives rather then 2001...damnit, this is such a pain in the ass, especially considering most of the shit I'll never even fucking use :mad:

12. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

anyone taken the recent A+ ? Would the brain dumps help? :dunno:

current A+ tests are 220-301 and 220-302.

13. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

those are on the website man...on the front page

14. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

yeah i know, i just dont know if they work like the ones for the old test did.

15. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I took it in July. Easy stuff if you know what you're doing (obviously), however a LOT of the questions on mine were outdated NT 3.51/4 crap :o

And then the hardware was a snap - you do have to know the amount of pins on connectors, by the way - that was about the only hiccup.

If you've done any type of constant service work on PC's, you shouldn't have an issue with it.

16. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

test numbers? 220-301 & 302 or 221 and 220?

17. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

this really has me stressed. I just want to get it out of the way. I'm going to go though this Michael Meyers All - in - one 4th edition book and do all the practice exams and stuff, but what else is there? Is that brain dump site for real? I mean , i guess it can't hurt, but from what i've heard, that doesn't help much on the new exams. Anyone have any advice to calm me down? Regardless, I'm a shitty standardized test taker and i'm afraid of dropping alot of cash on a test I don't even pass. I've been doing PC repair and support for almost 2 years after college now, and i did it for 2 years while still in college. The questions on the practice tests look like stuff I've never even used though. What is up with that. :hs:

18. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

I don't mind putting in a couple hours of study time 3-4 nights a week for the next 3 weeks or so, but if i'm not going to be able to pass it even if i study...i'm just scared i guess. I never was a good test taker... :noes:

19. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

anyone? :hs:

20. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

It's an easy test... don't even sweat it. As far as hardware addressing and stuff... all you really need to know is that two devices can't use the same address. Go to the braindump sites if you want to be absolutely 100% sure you will pass.

Seriously, a joke of a test.

21. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

i read the braindumps helped for the old tests, but they are now the 2003 objectives....which are different.:dunno:

22. PSUPef2K

PSUPef2K #Elite member

23. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

You're stressing this too much... If you've been playing with computers for a while, you'll almost certainly pass without even studying. The Braindump sites are always going to have the latest questions... guys go there right after taking the test and post the questions.

RELAX... you'll be ok.

24. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Whatever the latest ones were, 220 and 221 I believe.

Honestly, if you've been doing it for 4 years, you'll pass if you study for it.

25. mkevaldz

mkevaldz New Member

wow man, A+ is like the GED of tech junk...once you take it, you will post here laughing about how worried you were about it. It's not meant to seperate the men from the boys, it's meant for people who can read a book to have a pretty card in their wallet, not computer techs.