GUN Anyone shoot USPSA/IPSC? Equipment advice needed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Milky, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Just picked my new G19 and am looking to getting into IPSC Production division. Anyways, I need some equipment advice. Currently I have 3 mags, going to be getting 3 more from Natchez.

I also have a cheap holster that I bought from Academy just to keep the trigger covered in the nightstand.

So I probably need a new holster (cheap, preferably since I don't CCW yet), multiple mag pouches (again, cheap), and what else? I would appreciate brands/links for any equipment I need. Thanks.

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

AB13 is your man.

3. Milky

He's the guy with the race holster and everything?

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Six mags should be enough for pretty much any course of fire, but it never hurts to have more on hand.

If you want to stick with cheap then just get an Uncle Mikes belt holster ($20-ish) and a couple fo Uncle Mikes double mag pouches ($20-ish each). That is what I started off with. A better holster that uses friction retention will give you a little smoother draw, and individual mag pouches will give you more placement options, but will also be significantly more expensive in most cases.

I'd recommend getting your gear set up for a 1.5" belt, since that is what most of the premium competition setups are made for. That way later if you get really into it and want to purchase dedicated competition gear you can do it a little bit at a time. I started off with 1.75" gear, and it definitely limits your options down the line.

Otherwise get some good eyes & ears and start shooting matches. In most cases it will be quite a while before cheap equipment becomes a limiting factor, and by that time you'll have figured out exactly what is worth upgrading and what isn't.

5. Milky

Well I have a cheap nylon holster that looks like the nylon Uncle Mike's holster. Do I need to purchase a gun belt as well? I would like to know what I need at a bare minimum just to make sure I like it. I'd hate to drop ~$100 or more and then not really enjoy it.

6. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

use fobus paddle holster, you can't run race holsters in production class, and most of the suggestions I see above would violate USPSA rules (like the height of the gun on your hip, the cant, etc)

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

If you're looking for the "bare minimum" you need to compete then read this: http://www.uspsa.org/dw/gettingstarted.html.

You need a belt... if it is sturdy enough to hold up a holstered pistol and a mag pouch or two then it is sturdy enough. A "gun belt" will be way more supportive and comfortable, and will be one of the first things you want to upgrade, but you don't need a dedicated "gun belt" to show up and shoot a match.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

Which of the recommendations violate USPSA rules?

9. Milky

So what mag pouches? And the uncle mikes violates the rules?

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

99% of the OWB, strong side belt holsters you'll find at a sporting good stores are perfectly legal for production division. If you have a quesiton about a specific model post a link to it and I can tell you if it is legal or not.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sprite has it covered. If you wanted more specific suggestions, I'd go with the following. And BTW, stay clear away from Fobus, they are crap, even for a cheap holster.

Uncle Mikes Paddle holster (allows more offset than most, and you can adjust the cant to your liking). You are much better off going with some sort of Kydex material for your holster, Nylon holsters really aren't built to be drawn from on a continous basis as is needed in competition, and you want a friction retention system as opposed to a strap system, because you will be required to utilize the strap if it's on your holster.

Bladetech Inejected molded dual mag holders and get 2 or 3 of them. They cost about 15-20 a piece.

Here's my cheap production rig: All I run is 5 magazines, but 6 or 7 is not a bad idea.

[​IMG]

12. Milky

Wow thanks, where is the best place to buy all of this?

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

The uncle mikes paddle holster (which is what I actually use and is in the picture above) can be found and purchased at most bigger sporting goods stores like Sportsman Warehouse, GI Joes, etc. Or even at a local gunshop. I'd get a listing of gun shops and call around. You can definitely find them online.

They are priced anywhere from 12-20. Make sure you get the new design paddle holster like I have in my photo.

For bladetech, go here. Blade tech is amongst the more highly regarded companies in Action pistol competitions. I shot with the owner of Sheuman barrels and Sales Director of BladeTech this past Saturday in my squad, they are very cool guys.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMow22-Ai8k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izaJu_I0_lE

Here are some more of my vid's of various IDPA and USPSA competitions if your interested in getting into shooting, this should be good review of gear and what we do.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=aristotle13

14. Milky

Where do I need to go for the BladeTech stuff? You seem to be missing the link.

Thanks for the other info, definitely going to pick some stuff up.

How was your first time competing?

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

oh, chit, my bad...

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

My first time competing was a blur and I hardly remember any detail. I don't think I saw my front sight the whole match.

My family has been competing in USPSA/IPSC since the 80's, I've been around it all my life so I was a little more preped for my first match.

You're going to have a good time. Just remember safety first, get your A zone/0 down hits and speed will come later. You can never miss fast enough. Don't get caught up trying to keep up with the more experienced shooters and you'll be okay.

Learn the range commands, and practice what is expected. Let me know how it goes!! Good luck!!