A&P Anyone shoot IR with a D70?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ingen, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I know they make infra-red filters for the d70 (and everything else). I was just wondering, anyone here ever use one? How much are they? Are they as super-neatotastic as the pics they make?!:redxd: And why did I use redx? Cuz it's cool and I hadn't seen it before.

Anyway! If anyone has any experience, please point me in the right direction... I'm looking to get a shiny new toy, and it's this or an accessory flash. Or, if I get my job, BOTH! :noes:

2. dmora

dmora Guest

I bought an IR filter, but have yet to have an opportunity to try it.

3. Ingen

Ingen New Member

That sucks man :( You should!! Just tripod it up and try random stuff lol, doesn't have to be anything TOO senic. I want one :hs:

4. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

would love to try it on my 20d. Haven't looked into it too much though yet

5. dzmedia

dzmedia Guest

they are EXPENCIVE!!!!!

i have one for my 20d kit lens.. 58mm it was about 50 bucks.. you go larger than that and the price starts almost doubling.

its pretty neat... you have to focus with the filter off the camera and lock the focus. then screw the filter on without moving the front element, if its a front element focusing lens.

metering is usless and you cant see anything through the view finder... so its pretty much a shoot and re-shoot and adjust type thing

the settings i use in camera are in camera black and white with a red filter.

6. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

50 bucks is about the going price on a high quality polarizer, and everyone and their mother has some of those. . . :dunno:

7. sony

sony Active Member

Just remember you have to adjust the focus from normal, (closer to the camera) because your camera is focusing on the IR frame. Most lenses will have a red dot next to the line, to the right or left depending on how the focusing works that signifies where you should focus with the filter on. If you don't have the dot, just adjust the focus to a bit closer to the camera, you'll have to figure out how much depending on which lens you're shooting IR on. Of course you can increase DOF and give yourself a wider range of acceptable focus by stopping down, but that means you'll have to have longer shutter times or higher iso as well. :wiggle:

8. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Hmm. I definitely wouldn't have thought of that, and WOULD have gotten mucho pissed off. OK, F22 for eleventy zillion seconds. Got it :p

9. ShadowWalker

ShadowWalker New Member

There are some newer filters out there that you DO NOT need to adjust the focus for. Be sure o read the description when you go to buy it Ingen.