SRS Anyone seen a psychologist?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Big Tuna, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Rating: Awesome

After having a heated discussion, wherein he told me how fucked up he thinks my mom and I are with regards to how easily we close people off emotionally (especialyl family members who've wronged us), and he told me I should look into therapy.

While I don't agree with his assertion, I was wondering if anyone here can give insight. I'm 21, and just about to graduate college, btw.

Also, this discussion came on the day I found out I have a job interview next week in LA with my dream movie studio, so I've gone from a euphoric high one minute to a horribly depressing low the next.

2. interpol

interpol you can't spell basement without semen

psychologist didn't really do much for me. its an alright outlet though. doesn't seem like your psych was constructive at all though, can always try another

i got denied by 2 straight-up because they thought i was too difficult :ugh:
    what therapy did he recommend?

congrats on the interview though!

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

If you're really looking for a psychologist- the trick is to find one who is schooled in the practice that works best for you. There are 8 different psychological focuses and you can't just walk into any joe-bag-of-donuts shrink's office and expect to get proper help.

For example, if you are the kind of person who needs to talk out their problems and you go to a behaviorist, you will not find the help you were looking for. This type of psychological approach focuses on changing the behavior but is not introspective at all. A behaviorist focuses on behavior modification but does not focus on the cause of you current behavior. He would use "skill and drill" techniques to get you to change your behavior. It is a very effective therapy for certain people and specific situations, but not for everyone- especially if you want to talk out your problems.

8 schools of thought are:

Behaviorism
    Cognitive psychology
    Developmental psychology
    [FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica]Functionalism
    Gestalt psychology
    Humanistic psychology
    Psychoanalytical psychology (yes, it really is still taught and practiced)
    Structuralism

Do a little research on each and decide what theories and practices would work best for you. Then look up a psychologist that is schooled in that thought. Like every doctor you go to see, you should interview them before you put yourself in their care. If a psychologist says they have an eclectic approach (meaning they practice more than one school of thought) make sure they have the credentials to back that up.

It slays me that this isn't common knowledge. So many people have found zero comfort or resolve in a practice that can be so so effective.

Good luck to you
    [/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]

4. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey New Member

Congrats on the interview! :h5:

I've never been to a psychologist, but I have been to a marriage counselor. My husband and I didn't really feel that he helped, and later on we were able to fix things on our own. But getting back to the point, I think that part of the reason the counselor didn't help us is because we didn't take the time to find one that we liked and/or agreed with. I think like any doctor, you have to find one that you're comfortable with and agree will their practices.

5. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Rating: Awesome

Whoops, I somehow didn't mention that I haven't seen one, and it was my uncle that told me all that.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

It's no big deal, but she didn't help at all really.

7. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

i think about it every day never been to one tho

8. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

Once. He pointed out that everything I was stressed out about was out of my control. At the time, that's all I needed to hear, I never went back.

9. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Active Member

I've seen one. I'd definitely say it's helped. Of course you have to be in the state of mind to receive help for it to be successful. I think half of the success just comes from having a well informed 3rd party hear you speak.