Anyone running a 10k RPM drive in their Mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a PowerMac G5 I want to add another drive to and was wondering if anyone has tossed something like a Raptor in one?

The thing that puts me off to them is the small size to price ratio (73gb for $160). I realize it's much faster than a normal drive, but I see the software I use taking that up rather quickly.

How big of a speed boost did anyone see w/the OS and programs loading?

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I've used a 10K SCSI drive before and other than making my computer sound like it had a big assed turbo spinning up I can't say I noticed any benefit.

IMO, unless you're doing work that needs very rapid disk access I wouldn't bother with a 10K or 15K drive.

3. Icedog

Icedog New Member

a buddy of mine put one in his G5 tower, and another buddy of mine put two 10k drives in RAID 0 config in his G5 tower.. both are very happy about it. Of course they do stuff like Final Cut all day on it. I wouldn't mind seeing if there would be any improvement on my new Intel iMac :wiggle:

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you want increased performance for non-critical data, then consider getting two identical drives and do RAID 0. Probably better value there than a 10K drive.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

except there is little evidence that RAID0 even helps performance... Actually, many recent tests illustrate no noticable performance benefits, with a dramatic reduction in reliability.

6. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

I run a raptor in my PC, there is a noticable difference between the performance of a 7200rpm drive and a 10,000rpm drive. Im a huge advocate in the importance of HD specs, and im sure that my mini would feel much faster with a 7200rpm drive in it.

Slap the raptor in your G5, if you feel the 74GB version is too small, get the new larger version. Well worth the price.

What applications do you run that will fill a 74GB drive? The performance you gain is best for the OS and Applications, a little bit overkill for the use of a scratch disk.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:bsflag: parallel read + write ftw. then again you thought the mac mini internal notebook drive would be faster than an external FW drive :mamoru:

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It depends on what RAID card you're using. In the end the only real benefit would be in loading large blocks of contiguous data: AV, large photoshop files, etc. Most of application startup time is not disk access.

9. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have a ton of programs that I toss on there to learn, even tho I don't use them all the time. I'd rather be familiar with FCP if someone asks, then not know it at all.