Anyone run a small business and use some sort of point of sale

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mattATX, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

Anyone run a small business and use a point of sale program. A friend of mines company is looking to get a couple of computers and run a Point of Sale program of some sort. Enter description and then i guess just scan barcodes and make it do all the work. Anyone use a certain POS program and extremely happy with it? How much did it cost how hard is it to setup?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

The company i work for designed a software back in 1984 that handles units inventory, parts inventory, accoutning, workorders, blah blah blah. It can pretty much handle anything that doesn't require expiration dates. Our clients range from car dealers, motorcycle dealers to printer ink retailers.

It is compatible with cash drawers, slip printers, bar code scanners, label printers, pretty much any POS hardware, but we mainly use MMF, Zebra and Metrologic.

Softwares can run anywhere from 3000$ to 100,000$ for custom software plus monthly support charges. Depending on what you are looking for you can find a dozen or so specialized software companies to handle your needs.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

check out www.waspbarcode.com
    They have some fairly basic stuff that's definately under 3000, in fact, I remember their complete setup(minus computer) being around 1500 and the software on it's own being about 400. They have demo versions of their POS software too.

4. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

You can also purchase/lease a complete POS system/setup from Dell (and I'm sure other large vendors) that includes Intuit Quickbooks POS edition - if you have an existing Quickbooks setup for accounting/invoices it would tie in for you, all you would have to do is go through your inventory and associate the barcodes with the items.

They're relatively inexpensive (retail on the complete Dell setup is around $3k, less if you start out with a small business account and buy in multiple units) and very easy to install.