GUN Anyone refinished an old gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fox800, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Fox800

Fox800 Fear Boner OT Supporter

So my dad recently handed-down his Remington 521-T .22LR bolt-action. His dad bought it for him when he was eight. My dad carried and shot the fuck out of this rifle during childhood, so to say that it's seen a few rounds would be the understatement of the century. It's the first gun that I ever fired, he taught me to shoot with it. So, to say that it's special is also putting it lightly.

Cosmetically, this gun has seen better days. The outer barrel, fixed front sight, bolt handle, trigger guard, sling swivels, etc. are pretty badly rusted, they have a deep orange color. I'd like to take the rust off and restore this gun to some of it's former glory. It still runs like a champ. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of procedure?

2. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Honestly, if it means that much to you, you might want to just hire it out to have it done right.

If you want the privilege to say you restored it, I would start by breaking it down, and separating the parts that will be needing attention.

The stock will need knowledge on wood refinishing. The barrel, action, sights, etc will need stripped and re-blued.

Like I said, I would just hire it out, especially if you care about the integrity of the refinish.

3. TCustoms

TCustoms New Member

I make good money doing it.

What are you after ? Do you just want to put a nice finish on it and keep shooting ? Do you want to restore it ?

Whats your skill set ? Do you have a blast cab ? If your going to use a spray on coating then thats all you need. You can get a couple of different coatings in spray cans from Brownells.
    You can heat cure it in a gas BBQ.
    If you want to Blue it your going to need to have it done.

4. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Do you have a website or a link where I can check out some of your work?

Thanks.

5. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Post some pictures so we can get an understanding of just how bad the damage is. Also, post pictures of the wood - too often, wood does not need significant refinishing, just sanding LIGHTLY on any rough spots and rubbing linseed oil into it will do fine.

On the metal, pics. That rust could be bad enough that it's structural and may make the rifle unsafe to fire.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

If you are looking to send it out there are some places in Austin you might want to check out:

Hank Flemming on South Congress
    Sportsman's Finest on Bee Caves Road

There are a few other gunsmiths that can re-blue and refinish guns around too I just don't know the names off the top of my head.

7. TCustoms

TCustoms New Member

I think its in my profile.

Im not trying to pimp for work, I have more than I can do.

To the OP. Super fine steel wool works wonders with hot water and Dawn soap. Then just blow it dry, oil it up and see what you've got. You'd be amazed.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

This is exactly what I would do.

Past that.... you can quickly get into big money quick. It's up to you on how much you would want to spend. All I caution is not to cheap out here. I would not trust this job to most "gunsmiths". Find someone who specializes in refinishing metal, and wood. They will be expensive, as there is a lot of labor involved.

It sucks to spend a bunch of money, but I've seen a lot of guns "refinished" by "gunsmiths" and come back looking like complete dogshit. Actually.... I'd say that is the norm, rather than the exception. A bad blue job, and some dipshit going wild sanding wood will be worse than what you have now.

9. SNDP

SNDP New Member

1. Citristrip the wood so you don't lose wood sanding the finish off.
    2. Fine sand the fuzz off.
    3. Minwax water based stain of choice.
    4. Brush on layers of thinned Tung oil, dry a day, repeat 4-5 times.
    Below...SKS: no stain. PU: with Minwax Sedona red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I refinished my Garands stock. Pure tung > boild linseed

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:hsugh: shits easy as fuck to do if you do some research and do it right.

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

and + on the tung oil.

13. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I refinished my yugo sks with something similar to the method above and it looks like that gun just lighter. I used Tung oil for the wood. Linseed works great for leather parts