Anyone play World of Warcraft on the new Macbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by assclown, Nov 7, 2008.

1. assclown

assclown Active Member

I'm thinking about updating to the new MacBook from my Macbook black. Originally I wanted the MBP for the better screen, higher resolution, better GPU and firewire but I'm not sure if those are worth the extra money to me.

I realized that since I have a gaming PC, the only game I occasionally play on my laptop is WoW. Does anyone play it on the new Macbook? Can it handle it on max settings at its native resolution? :x:

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i doubt it. doesn't the macbook just have an integrated GPU? you'd probably want something better than that. also, doesn't WotLK bump up the minimum requirements?

3. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

jeez man, the whole point of the new macbooks was the graphics, had did you miss that?

wow will likely run just fine.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

really? man, i must have misread. i thought the new macbooks had better graphics than before, but still meh. solly. my bag.

5. assclown

assclown Active Member

11 million people play WoW, and not one of them has a new Macbook on this forum? :hsugh:

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I doubt it will run very well... the engine actually had a pretty big improvement, if it does run you'll likely have to turn all the graphics settings down and it will look like trash and then whats the point northrend is amazing and you will only be able to see 2 feet in front of your face with blurry low res textures, I wouldn't even bother

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:ugh: I don't see why it would not. It runs Warhammer Online perfectly on high settings from what I've read.

I have the new MacBook but no WoW on it... however, I've been recently having urges to start again, thanks to WotLK, so I may be getting back to you on that one sooner than I'd like :hs:

8. Flameboyant

Flameboyant Member

wotlk is sweet and you will be fine

9. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

yeah I sometime play wow on my old macbook with 1/2 settings and get like 30-40fps most places and 20-25fps in cities.

10. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

learn to ignore CodeX

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

there are vids on youtube of the new mb playing wow.

12. CodeX

CodeX Guest

And like I said it runs like utter shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ci1ZiLQKlo

And that is not even in northrend, my girlfriend used to play pre-WOTLK on her laptop all the time, but in northrend her framerate is half what it used to be because the graphics detail is so much higher.

None of the videos I found showed anything in the new content, which is basically twice as demanding on the system as the old content was.

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

14. SinisterHand

SinisterHand Active Member

Why hasn't he been banned from this subforum? :hsd:

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I love it how I post unpopular but true information and everyone calls for a ban... I linked to some youtube videos, I didn't make them, tell me why that is is ban worthy? Because you didn't like it?

I am sorry the mac shack is some big hippy love-in and I am disrupting your karma or whatever...

16. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

ban!

17. CodeX

CodeX Guest

:wavey:

18. SinisterHand

Back to the thread topic, I just got WotLK and started a DK. With most of the settings on medium and a few on low I never dropped below 45fps; It is perfectly capable of running on the new macbook. Ultimately I would rather play on a desktop but it is totally playable on a macbook.

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Which ones are on low? view distance, texture quality, spell detail, and texture filtering amirite? That looks like shit, you can only see like 10 feet in front of you lol. Playable yeah, but not only will it look worse but you will actually be at a disadvantage because other people will see quest items, mining nodes, mobs, etc long before you will

20. SinisterHand

The distance is on medium, however the ground texture and the clutter density and radius are low. Spell detail is on high but the shadows are on low. It is playable and I stated earlier that I would rather be on a desktop. For soloing you can totally do it on a macbook.

21. assclown

assclown Active Member

I did some research and people are claiming to be able to play it with the settings all on high, except for AA and shadows. Can you please confirm this for me? :x:

Unfortunately on the Mac, shadows only have a high and low setting. The recent addition of realtime shadows REALLY adds to the experience IMO. Environments look much better and I've had some awesome moments where a huge dragon flew over me and I'd see its shadow, or a huge giant (Thyrm) would be right behind me and I wouldn't know until I saw his shadow.

Anyway, I could deal with shadows on low and AA off when I'm not home, but I'd want everything else on high. :hs:

22. CodeX

CodeX Guest

How many different hardware setups are there for this laptop? Because this video clearly shows it cant, it runs like shit at what appears to be medium settings at best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ci1ZiLQKlo

And yeah, the shadows are amazing... the rest of the engine is a 2 and the shadows are a 10 its like wtf am I right?

23. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Oh, so a TWO YEAR OLD video proves that the 4 month old MacBook is a POS? Really?

How can you possibly be this fucking stupid? :bowrofl:

24. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol, I searched wow on macbook pro, I am clearly not a mac fan, I didn't know they re-use the same model name over and over for a decade.

Still, give me footage of NEW (wotlk) content running on the laptop you are talking about

25. assclown

assclown Active Member