Anyone own an ATV? I have some questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by N8, Feb 27, 2004.

1. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

I'm looking into getting one for this summer, and I really don't know a whole lot about them.

What kinds of things should I be looking for when buying one used? Are there certain brands that hold up better than others? What's a good engine size?

Any help would be appreciated. :bigthumb:

2. ERock

ERock My Face Is Kittah OT Supporter

I have a 85 Honda 250r atc (3 wheeler) w/ lots done to it extended swing arm 310cc kit.
    I also have an 01 Yamaha Raptor.

What kind of riding do you want to do. 90% of my riding is in sand. Have you ridden before or ridden dirt bikes?

3. mf101

mf101 Guest

yamaha raptor or 450 :bigthumb:

are you wanting a 4x4 though?

4. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

I want to take it up to my cottage where there is a fair bit of sandy terrain. That is where MOST of the riding will be done, but I do want to be able to take it up north to my friends cottage where the terrain is a lot more rocky. Is there a jack of all trades model that say, does everything well but doesn't shine in one particular area?

I have never been on an ATV or a dirt bike in my life. It's something that i've always wanted to do though. :)

5. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

I'm not sure to be completely honest.

Is the 4x4 capability a must have, or is it only useful in the most extreme situations? :dunno:

6. Dos Equis4

Dos Equis4 nebraska democrat (oxymoron?)

disc brakes > drums..

and independent suspension is cool, i believe one brand just came out with a fully independent model. not sure who.

7. ERock

I have never ridden a 4x4 quad for my uses I cant see having one.
    Rocky hmmmm I dont know I know the majority of 2wd quads would suck. They make a kawi 700 4x4 quad that is automatic no shifting that would be easy. They also make a 2wd version.

8. xci.ed6

xci.ed6 New Member

I had a Polaris 400 sport, real durable, nice quality. Slightly modified (raised compression, misc. other stuff), super fast, I think I got it up to about 70 on my track. Also have a Polaris 300 xpress, same deal, nice and durable. Both were 2wd, both got stuck alot in snow, nothing else stopped them.

Now i'm in the market for a 250cc motocross bike, ATVs are too big for me.

Honda's are good quality (as always), Polaris seems to be and are american made.

9. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

Yeah, I never thought of that... the rocky terrain would make for some tricky driving on a 2WD quad with wheels lifting off of the ground and all.

I don't mind the shifting part, I drive a manual car and i've rode a regular motorcycle before. How are Honda ATVs? (aside from being expensive)

10. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

When buying a used one, what should I look for? Are there any common problems I should be worried about?

Also, how old is too old for one of these machines with average maintenance?

11. ERock

Actually hondas are not horribly priced. The new yamaha 450's now those are costly. Hondas are good and nicely balanced. Get a 400ex..... Look at that Predator 500 those ones are the shit.

12. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

Are there any good ATV forums out there?

13. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

get a used sportsman 400 or 500. they ride like cadillacs and they can keep right up with the scramblers. the market is flooded with them right now and you can get your money back.the independant susp is worth it's weight in gold. not to jack your thread but ... you should see the riding up here in north idaho! 50 mile sea of mountains with fire trails and tons of railbed with lifted rails. 11 tunnels and 15 trestles. etc

14. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

the only forums i've ever seen were accessory sales generated and were mostly in the southeast. where there are no trails and if you touch your tire to the pavement, you get a felony takedown arrest. so i am looking too.

15. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

Whoa, i'm glad they don't have those kinds of rules up here. :eek3:

16. phreak

phreak OT Supporter

how rocking is the terrain? a 2wd can go anywhere a 4wd can with a couple exceptions. deep mud being one and steep rocky terrain requiring traction of the front tires is another.

you would have more fun, i think, on a 2wd sport. i love my yamaha banshee. its fast...handles great...plently of power. chosing a quad depends on how you want to ride it.

as for buying used...first check the frame to see if there are any cracks in it. if you find any...pass on it. that's not something you want to deal with. check all the fluids and air filter. if it starts right up and idles fine, thats a usually a good sign. check to see how the brakes work. look at the plastics to see if its been rolled or not. check the frame also to see if it looks like its been rolled.

here's a couple forums:
    http://forums.atvsource.com/
    http://forums.atvconnection.com/

17. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

18. mf101

mf101 Guest

19. N8

N8 This fucking guy.

Yes. :fawk: