GUN Anyone own a Kel-Tec?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm thinking of getting a concealable handgun. I might just get a Model 60 2 1/8th inch barrel, but I sort of want a semi-auto. The Kel-Tec P11 is good, because I already have 9mm. However the P3AT is also a consideration, because it is so tiny, and a .380 is fair enough for personal protection. There is also a North American Arms .380, which even though it is heavy, they are supposed to be really reliable and accurate (The gun has calaboration from Kahr Arms).

My question is, does anyone who owns Kel-Tecs, do they have any real problems. Would you/do you trust your life with one?

2. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Personally, no.

I've never shot one, but my friends girlfriend did. After 20 rounds, her hand was bleeding.

The whole "fluff and buff" thing just doesn't seem right to me. I don't want to buy a gun that needs additional work to make it reliable.

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

[​IMG]

Should name it AMEX because I don't leave home without it.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have a few and I think the breakdown is something like you have a higher than usual chance of getting a bum unit, if you get a bad gun you send it back (keltec will pay shipping both ways) and they'll send it back fixed. When you get it fixed it'll be quite reliable. .380 is no where near as good a defensive cartridge as 9mm, but the size of the p3at is quite nice. Even .38spl is a better choice than .380

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg might also help you if you want a pocket sized gun.

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I really would like the Kahr PM9, but they are somewhere around $600 new. It wouldn't be such a problem, but my full size M&P9 was less than that. I just don't see myself spending that much on something that will get marred up from daily carry. But I do want something reliable, I just don't know if the correlation in price goes along with the reliability with pocket guns.

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've had a P32 for the past few years that's 100%. It gets carried daily, whether I have a belt gun on or not. Although I did pick up a 442 last week, but it's too big for jeans pocket carry.

7. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

It's not a gun you're going to be able to practice alot with, it just won't take it and will start breaking down... but if you keep the round count down they seem to do just fine as a pocket gun....

8. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Love mine and never had a problem.

Keep in mind when looking at the comparison page that soybomb posted, the biggest benefit of the kel-tec is being so thin rather than the apparent size in those pics. A lot of those other cungs look nearly the same but if you handle one you'll see the difference.

Def a last resort gun but if you are talking about carrying in a place/situation you wouldn't carry aything larger in then you're still better off.