Anyone On the Road A Lot Following A Diet?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by radeon, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

Hey guys,

After being pretty fat for the past 22 years and now that I'm single again and feel the need to look good, ive decided that by my 23rd birthday (5 months from now) i'd like to lose 20lbs, if not more. Im willing to spend 3 - 4 days a week in the gym (I hope this is enough between work and school I dont have a ton of time for that) but my biggest concern is how to keep a good diet.

I'm a technician for a large communications company, and that means im on the road 40 hours a week, and my diet for the past 3 years since i took this job has been a variety of fast food and the local chinese buffet. Starting Monday, I stopped drinking soda completely, but my diet really hasnt improved any.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to pull this off? I'd like to have a hot lunch sometimes so thats my issue with just packing a sandwich or something everyday.

TTYL,
    FINALBOSS

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

just eat salads, chicken breasts, rice/potatoes, steak, turkey breasts, soup when you eat out.

pack shit like beef jerky, tuna, whey, etc in your suitcase when you leave on Sunday.

I travel a lot and have the same problems. So fucking hard to order a salad and water when there are 8 guys at the table eating burgers and firing back tall Guiness'

3. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

I come home every night, so its not like im stuck in a hotel room.

4. Spur

Spur Boomer

I'm out of the house for the majority of the week. 17 credit hours, and 25hrs of work a week.

I use a lot of tuppaware containers, and I've recently found that blender bullet bottles are excellent for making quick protein shakes.

My meals are like a bunch of snacks put together to make a single meal. My backpack is usually full of food.

Sandwiches. PB, or meat sandwiches. I only use one slice of bread but still put all the same ingredients as I would put onto a normal sized sandwich.

Tuna. I carry a can of it and a can opener. I've stopped worrying about taste and you can get used to eating straight out of the can. You could get pouches, but it's more expensive and not worth it.

I guess just get creative :dunno: . Just make sure every time you eat, you at least have protein foods.

5. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

I find the taste and smell of tuna offensive, is there anything else that works well in that respect?

6. drickz

drickz chunkin the deuce

you can try canned chicken breast

7. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

precook your meals 2-3 days at a time, put them in a cooler

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Being on the road is as easy as a deskjob IMO, maybe more. Cook up 2-3 days of steak/chicken/rice/potatoes/whatever and just tupperware it. Use a cooler if you need to. Eat every few hours whenever you're driving.
    Salads and vegetables are easy enough to prepare in the morning.

Win.

9. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

It is tough, I usually just try to eat lots of chicken sandwiches and salads, but if I go anywhere decent, I usually try to experience good food. I find lifting to be harder than dieting on the road. you can always choose to just not eat. Plan ahead

10. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

Any sites with good recipes for this kind of cold , yet reasonably tasty food as i dont really have the facility to warm it up

11. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Shredded chicken breast - vary the spices/sauces. Tastes great cold.

12. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

Interesting, what else would be good?

also what should my serving sizes should be like?

Sorry for asking all kinds of dumb questions, but i'm serious about making a change in my life and I need all of the info i can get :wiggle:

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

When I cook it up I usually do 2lbs (1 kilo) at a time, and go through about a half a pound (200g) per day.
    200g * 20% meat protein = 40g. Usually spaced between two meals (so half around 11am and half around 2pm), obviously with rice/chickpeas + vegetables/salad/whatever. If I get a craving I'll grab a burger with no mayo.

Breakfast and dinner at home.

14. radeon

radeon OT Supporter

What is your height / weight? im sure that matters

Im 6'4 roughly 270lbs (Im buying a scale this weekend to materialize any losses that I have) , Im not sure where to begin right now.... I tried reading the FAQ here, but it seems like a lot of the information is more complex than what im trying to find out at this point. Im not worried much about trying to bulk up or anything, i just want to lose my gut

15. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Believe me you won't accidentally "bulk up", especially on what I just said. Protein + veggies (fibres) will keep you full and won't give you too many calories.

Basically just eat anything that's mostly protein, with a lot of vegetables, and a lot of water.

6'2 200lbs ~13% bodyfat

16. gsxtasyd

gsxtasyd Lift Big........Eat Big........Sleep Big........GE

pack your food...

drop your carbs....

buy SHelby's Guide to Very Low Carb Diets or Carb Cycling Book

www.elitefts.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.