SRS anyone on celexa or have knowledge of it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by moses, Feb 12, 2010.

1. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

I'm going thru some really hard times right now, my therapist recommend i get on an SSRI to help me thru it, so my family doctor prescribed me Celexa (generic). after reading the possible side effects i'm not really sure i wanna take it, plus i'm not supposed to drink on it and i dunno if i want to give up beer as its my real only relaxation method lately.

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Over the years I have been on all kinds of shit.

I am currently on Celexa. It works really well with me. My wife is on it and it makes her really tired.

If you are going to read the scary side effects of drugs there is something you must understand.
    During the drug testing phase of drug devolopment a LOT of people are tested on the drug. If even one of them says 'I feel dizzy' then it gets put in the possible side effect column.

Statistically you have nothing to worry about. Legally they have to list those things.

But this is not a discussion you need to be having with a stranger on the web. This is a discussion you need to have with your Doctor.

Something else to talk to him about.
    There are tons and tons of alternative SSRI drugs. Ask him what your choices are if Celexa doesn't work out for you. He will respond that you try something else till you find something that works well.
    That is why there are so many medications, cause we all react a bit differently.
    It is pretty likely that if Celexa is your first try it won't be the drug that works the best for you. Odds are it will be the 2nd or the 3rd stab where you and your doctor nail it.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

My wife had it for a while. It seemed to help her a bit, and didn't really put her out of it mentally, so I'd say it's a reasonable first step to try

That said, if you're drinking constantly, it's a small wonder you're going through hard times.

4. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

i'm definitely drinking more than i used to, but i got dumped, and i'm unemployed right now. it's not an excuse, but that's the reason.

i've got nothing to do but find a job, and my thoughts are sidetracked anywhere else because i think about her and i miss her. i've been unemployed for over two months now, and her and I haven't talked in almost 3 weeks. what sucks about drinking is when i have 2 or 3 i feel better instantly, but then the next day its like i'm depressed even more and the cycle begins again.

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

yep, and so long as you keep drinking, you'll never learn to deal with it and get over it, and so you'll never feel better.

IMO if you stop drinking, you'll soon feel much better than you would feel just from taking the celexa

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Have you been honest about your drinking to your doctor?

You are not supposed to drink while taking these sorts of medicines.

7. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

of course i have

8. AlcoLOLic

AlcoLOLic New Member

Celexa was great after I used it for 4 weeks (the time it took to take effect). i would wake up in the morning having literal mind orgasms. Otherwise it just kept me from freaking out with anxiety or getting depressed out of my mind.

All SSRIs are different things to different people. Try it, if it works, use it. If not, tell your doc and find something else.

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Celexa was the first anti-depressant I ever took. It made me too tired to get through my day. I started going in the bathrooms at work and taking naps and stuff. I had to get off of it immediately before I got my ass fired.

I switched over to Welbutrin and that stuff was almost like an energy pill for me.

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

This is exactly my point about how these drugs work differently for different people.
    You have to start somewhere and if it doesn't work don't be afraid to try something else. And for the love of God, if you have side effects let your doctor know.

If I have to read one more person say, 'Oh I tried 'such and such' a year ago and I didn't sleep for a week. I threw it in the toilet. Now I know that all medications are bullshit and if you aren't living at the gym you aren't living.', I am gonna scream.

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there.

I remember when I was 12 or 13 and my mom got on Zoloft. It made her extremely tired and because of that, she thought all anti-depressants were shit and competely gave up on them.

After my experience with Celexa and then Welbutrin I really learned how different medicine works for different people.