anyone never lay their bike down?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by rtevans86, Sep 16, 2005.

1. rtevans86

rtevans86 New Member

after reading through this forum for days on end, i wonder...anyone never lay their bike down, i want to ride... and obviously falling seems to be something that comes with the territory...however bikes and cars are completely different, but ive NEVER been in or near an accident in my car...driving for 4 years now. is it nearly impossible to never lay the bike down?

2. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I haven't layed my scooter down yet, but I've only been riding it for 3 or 4 months. I hope I never do, but all it takes is a little gravel in the wrong place in a corner, and the tires go right out from under you. I hit a driveway entrance today a little harder than I meant to, caught a little air, and it felt like it was a touch squirlly when it landed, since I was tuning as I entered the driveway. That would have been embarrassing laying it down in the parking lot of the local Honda/Yamaha motorcycle dealership.

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

it isn't impossible to never lay it down, but the odds are good that you will. that is one of the reasons ppl reccomend you get a used bike with little to no plastics. some folks ride their entire lives without any problems. others go down within minutes of leaving the lot. read some riding books, take the msf, do as much research on strategies/techniques as you can and then try to apply what you've learned. the only absolute way to prevent going down is not to ride. but, if you prepare yourself, you can reduce your personal odds.

4. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I've been riding for over three years now. So far I've been lucky, I only had one slow speed drop when I was first learning. The bike hit the ground, I didn't. The possibility of you going down will always be there. It doesn't matter how safe you are being anything is possible on a bike.

5. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I believe the saying goes something like....

"There are 2 types of riders, those that have crashed, and those that are going too"

I almost always happens. It comes with the territory. So far I havent layed it down at any real speeds, just dropped it a few times when learning.

:rofl: wow 4 years without an accident :goyou:

Car's and bikes shouldnt even be compared. My g/f's grandad has rode ALL his life, and had his first wreck last month. Now he won't be walking for a year. He been riding longer than most people on OT have been alive, and it still happened.

6. Subie Driver

And always wear your gear, because you never know if or when you are going down. Yeah, I ride a 200cc scooter, but I still boned out $500+ for gear. Even falling at 30 will hurt a lot without it, and my scoot can do 80+, so I think it's well worth it. Gravel in a corner is no problem for a car, but very not good for a bike. I don't understand my upstairs neighbor, he's got a Ninja 6RR, and he's dropped it and spent several week scraped up and with his arm in a sling, yet when he goes out riding, he still only wears a helmet with his t-shirt and jeans.

Means nothing. I've only been in one real accident in my car in the 13 years I've been driving, and that was because someone rear-ended the guy behind me, and he was pushed into me. I consider myself an excellent driver, but no skill can help when something like that happens. Same kind of thing can happen on a bike. Someone changes lanes or pulls out of a driveway without seeing you (I added a headlight flasher to help increase my visibility to others), then theres gravel or an oil slick in a corner, and wet conditions are always dicey. Sometimes, shit happens, the best you can do is be prepared for it so you can minimize the loss.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  7. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

I used to think like that OMG I've never been down, I'm so scare to go down... will

I finally got it out of the way, but It happened at the track, I went down doing 65 mph, I was leaning hard coming out of turn 4, hit the throttle too hard causing the bike to highside, I hit the ground hard, the bike landed about 90 feet ahead of me.. I landed on my left arm then my helmet hit the ground. I got up like nothing even happened but I was pissed because I had scratched my new racing suit but I tell you one thing it's worth every penny NOT EVEN ONE SCRATCH ON ME after crashing at 65mph. I went up to my bike, picked her up myself, to my surprised no damage what so ever, only crank case cover and the frame slider got fucked up, Oh and my swing arm slider. it cost me $140 to replace the damage parts.

I came to work the next day to tell my co-workers how much fun I had at the track...

I tell you one thing tho I reather crash everyday at the track than once a year on the street....

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

In my 2 years of riding, I've never laid it down while traveling at any speed.

The one time I dropped it, my pant leg got hooked on my right peg and I couldn't get my foot down. Broke the mirror and bent a lever.
    After that I bought real riding pants and it hasn't happened since.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't. If it does though, I'm always wearing good gear so I should come out of it pretty well.

9. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

so in reality I've never being in an motorcycle accident, crashing at the track I wouldn't call it an accident.

but shit happens.

10. Imagine

Imagine New Member

I hate it when that happens. Luckily the couple times I've done that I was able to get my foot free soon enough.

11. Subie Driver

Well, that'sone benefit of riding a scooter: no pegs to catch my pants on! :coolugh:

12. Frequency

Frequency New Member

and pleanty of room to store your dignity for when you are done riding and want it back

/tease off

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  13. Subie Driver

True story. Oh, well, it's a good starter for me, and plenty of fun for what it is. I wonder what the people I pass on the freeway think? Plus, I can run small errands with it, what with the underseat storage and the rear carrier, so I can keep getting that 65 mpg even when I'm not just out having fun.

14. Frequency

Frequency New Member

hehe jsut teasing ya, i think your scoot is pretty cool, not my thing but still better than some shit i see out there

15. Subie Driver

Yeah, I agree with that. Only made 2 payments on it so far, though, and I'm already looking at what I want next. And, yes, it will be a "real" bike :p So far, the Suzuki V-Strom DL650 is leading; sporty, upright seating position, and can have carriers attached for utility. Kind of like my scoot, but with 3 times the power (66 vs 21).

16. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I'm giving serious consideration to the DL650 as my next bike. The only thing I'm concerned about is not having enough motor on the highway fully loaded.
    There is always the DL1000 for that though.

I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm not going to be a one bike man.

I've got my tourer picked out (DL series unless I strike it rich and can get a Bimmer)
    and my sportbike shall be a ZX7R.

I've also considered an older Harley just to restore and take out once in a blue moon. A late panhead (early 60s) would be cool to beat around on from time to time. The old bikers would love it and I would have a lot of fun restoring it.

17. Imagine

Imagine New Member

The DL650 has plenty of motor for freeway riding. It will tack a little higher then the 1000 will, but everyone says that it will feel smoother then the 1000 will at freeway speeds. Unless your planning on doing 115+ mph you shouldn't have a problem on the freeway. Some owners have gone up a tooth in the front sprocket to get the RPMs down a little at freeway speeds. I personally wouldn't want to loose the lowend power that it has now though. However, they say it also makes the speedometer more accurate as well.

18. Subie Driver

I'm not concerned about the power of the DL650, my 200cc scooter with 21 hp can cruise fine on the freeway at 70, and I can hit 80+ on the flat. Going down a big hill once, I got it to 90 :eek3: The DL650 has 3 time the engine with 3 times the hp, and not much heavier, so I'm sure it will be great on the freeway.

19. One less squid will be on the road shortly.

I have yet to lay my 600RR down, but it is my first bike and I have only been rideing for 3 months, so I am sure it is bound to happen. I have yet to get all the right gear yet, but I am on my way to getting it. my uncle layed his RC-51 down and twisted his ankle almost completley off and broke many other bones, but he was doing over 100 and was in leathers. Could have been much worse.

20. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

basically, if you arent totally retarded with your bike, watch everywhere you can for sand/gravel, never ever ever ever get on it to relieve your anger(intoxicated for that matter as i did) your probabilities of wrecking are far less of wrecking (as i did). But yeah, my MSF instructor also said "there are two kinds of riders, those who went down and those that will go down" didnt ever think my day would come i was always so careful, so cautious, and one night of drinking and a heated arguement, pulled it out of my shop, hit a pole at 110 flew 75 feet or so down a 60 degree embackment or so, 11 stitches in my forehead, broke my ankle, wrist, backs of my shouldercups, my lowerback, and shattered my arm, now i have 2 scars on my arm from joint to joint, 60 some odd stitches, 2 10 inch titanium plates, 28 screws, and about 80 thousand dollars later. A year later, the bike is still in pieces waiting to be put together, but the first thing im buying before anything this time is full riding gear. Just be careful its all i have to say.

21. verticalINTENSEions

verticalINTENSEions New Member

yeah but the gear, other than a healmet, really only protects from road rash. a good jacket's not going to stop you from breaking your arm. I usually only wear my leather jacket when its chilly out, other than that its normally a Tshirt for me, and half the time i don't even wear a full face, its usually a skullie, or brain bucket or whatever.

22. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Nothing will protect you 100%, but considering the price of a Jacket compared to a hospital bill just for serious road rash, the jacket still wins.

$300 Jacket > $2500 Road Rash cleaning bill from the doctor.

23. Subie Driver

Yeah, enjoy that when you go down. I like my skin where it is, on me, and not all over the road. You know what it feels like when you skin your knee, or get rugburn? Imagine that over half your body, or ven just on the whole side of one leg. If you've never riden in a good jacket, then you don't know about them. Mine (Joe Rocket Ballisic) is just fine in the heat. It's well vented, and without the sun shining on you, I've heard it's actually cooler to ride in a well vented jacket than in a t-shirt. I know it won't protect me from breaking a bone, but the armored pads ot the shoulders, elbows, and along the spine could actually keep me from breaking an elbo or fucking up my shoulder. And forget about road rash on the spine, that's gotta suck. If I go down hard, I'd rather ony del with broken bones than broken bones and missing skin.

Oh, and you admit that a helmet is important, but then you only wear one that's not going to do much of anything? One othe other threads here is about helmets, and someone said that most riders hit thier chin when they go down. Full face helmet for me everytime, I don't need facial scars.

24. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

SHIT! see this is the crap that I hate about biking. funny how this thread came up too cause like 20 minutes ago I was talking to my uncle about all his friends and such that just got fucked with a bike, people who are paralyzed, hit by trucks, died. all that shit. I haven't got a bike yet but I was going to think about getting a GS500 in October/November. Now I'm killing myself over whether to get a bike or not. anyone have some tips, stories, ideas that will MAKE or BREAK my decision on getting a bike? im seroiusly not able to make a choice. Bike: +fun +cool +good mpg +chance of being killed No Bike: +Safety +car +insurance

25. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Haven't laid it down yet. :knocksonwood: :x:

I have however dropped it in a parking or two while parking. :o