SRS anyone moved to a new city feeling lonely?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4-banger, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 4-banger

4-banger New Member

just move out to vancouver with no contacts:sadwavey:

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you don't want to be lonely you have to step towards the people. And in order to escape a path of loneliness, you have no choice but to work hard and make you own path. Anyway you have us in here :hug:

3. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

i moved to philadelphia a little over 1-1/2 yrs ago for a job, and for the first 3 months all i ever did was go to work then head back to my apt for the rest of the day. Weekends were twice as boring, i'd either just sit around or head to the mall to walk around there. Finally i just decided i had to force myself to go out and meet people and the best way i saw to do that was i got a part-time retail job at the local mall. I met a lot of people, it gave me something social to do during my free time, and i made a few good friends that i know hang out with regularly. Even if its not in your personality to be out-going, you have to force yourself to take the first step in meeting new people or else you'll be alone for a long time.

4. lets_talk

lets_talk New Member

hey Reddawg, it is sooo tough to take that first step and reach out to people. Its stepping out of your comfort zone and finding that comfort in others.

5. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

yep, thats why it took me a few months of absolute boredom before i just told myself that i had to get out there and meet people or i'd be like this forever, and i figured having a p/t job would force me to meet new people and also make some extra $$ while doing it. I'm actually dealing with the same situation all over again right now, my g/f just recently moved away from our hometown (400 miles away) to live with me, so she's going through the difficulties of not having any friends here. We got her a job and she's made some work friends but nothing outside of work yet, so she'll probably try a different place soon. You just have to keep trying if it doesn't work the first time, you'll make friends eventually, you just have to give it time and dont stop trying.

6. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

In my experience, a job as a server in a restaurant (a big restaurant, not a little mom and pop place) is the best way to meet people.

You will be working with lots of young women, and most people who work in restaurants are cool folks who knows lots of other people and they go out and party after work.

You could even work just a few nights per week.