Anyone make use of Samba?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Apothis, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Apothis

Apothis New Member

And I don't mean just starting the "windows sharing" service, but actually configuring your shares with smb.conf.

I got around to this last night, had to kinda get re-aquainted with it as I haven't been on linux in a long time. I have an external harddrive called Storage hooked up, and it's on here that I keep things backed up and share content. But Windows Sharing, with no configure options, didn't allow this. So I edited smb.conf (in: /Volumes/Hardrive/private/etc) and set up a public lan share.

Until last night, I wasn't aware of the "private" folder, and thus, didn't know where the traditional unix directories were. A search for "smb" turned up nothing as admin user, but plenty came up for root.
    :coolugh:

2. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

There's a freeware prefpane called "SharePoints" that I use to configure all my shares. I used to edit the conf files, but I got tired of it since I wanted something that would allow me to share either single files or change the name of shared directories easily. Google it and I'm sure it'll come up. I use Windows sharing all the time, and this works beautifully. If you're so inclined, SharePoints will also configure AFS shares for you.