GUN Anyone like Jap. WWII Bayonets?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, May 9, 2009.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Received this today as a gift, pretty cool I think. I was told it is a WWII Japanese bayonet, brought back by a soldier. It's a little rusty, but assuming it's not worth any significant value, I'd bet I can clean it up. (Would you try to restore this if it was yours?)

Using this site for a reference - http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

It's a straight quillon design, manufactured by the Toyoda Jidoshoki Seisakusho (Toyoda Automatic Loom Works) under Nagoya supervision.

The butt of the handle is marked "2-11-49". This seems odd to me, since WWII was over in 1945, yes? Were they still producing rifles and bayonets 4 years later in Japan? Maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but it sure looks like "49" to me.

The blade is straight, with a few small chips along the edge here and there. It looks used, but maybe because a previous collector tried cutting with it or something stupid. The blueing is starting to come off obviously.
    The cool part is it gets sharper as you get closer to the tip. The tip is still sharp enough to cut my finger if I'm not careful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT - Now that I think about it, the date format might be different in Japan. As in year/month/day. So maybe it's really 1942, November, 09? But it really looks like a "49" to me unless there is a pit in the steel right above the "-" so it just looks like a "4"? Either way, I believe it to be authentic.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Heh, I was kind of shocked to get it for a birthday present, especially from someone who is anti-gun and such. The more I look at it the more I like it. I wish I had an old Japanese rifle to mount it on!

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I like them, so how much do you want?

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well I'm not really looking to sell it, it's my first historical knife/sword/blade of any kind. I collect knives but everything I have so far is new and I actually use them.

From what I've seen online these are pretty popular, so I doubt it's worth much.

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I'm wondering if it's printed 2-11-29 and the two is simply not pressed in deep enough so it appears as [​IMG]

6. itchiban

itchiban New Member

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/bayonets3/index.asp

According to this site, that factory only made that bayo from 37-45 so if that is the mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy format it doesnt seem to be a 2. Maybe those aren't dashes and it's just a serial number to match the arisaka it orignally came on. :dunno:

On a side note TS, Toyota made your bayo. :eek3:

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Toyoda = Toyota? That is so cool! I'm a big Toyota MR2 fan, I didn't know they started out making looms.

The more I look at it the less it looks like a "4". Perhaps you are right and it's simply "2 11-9" which is some kind of serial number. I'm still hunting online to see if anyone else has a number stamped on the back.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Found it! This bayonet is almost just like mine, and has better photos. Goes over all the features of mine, and the serial number on the butt. Mine is just too worn to tell.

http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/t30btoyodavarb.htm

EDIT - And now I know how the scabbard was mounted! That "frog" is pretty cool, wish I had one!

9. smartypants

smartypants New Member

cool piece of history
    militaria interests me.

every piece has a story

10. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

I agree completely.

11. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Cool

I remember cooking off a Jap bayonet one time.

12. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I have one of those! I'll take pics later on and try to get them online. It's one of the favorite things I own.