SRS Anyone laugh at the worst moments?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Raisedshoulder, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

A lot of times whenever I'm having a serious conversation with my gf or my friends like thing about death or one of their relatives being sick I tend to laugh. I don't think the situation is funny but for some reason I keep laughing at the worst times. I worry if I ever attend a funeral I might start laughing. Anyone know any way to resolve this? It is starting to strain some of my relationships with people because they start asking what the hell am I laughing at.

2. Franco

Franco New Member

Feelings can show as other feelings, its quite common that laughter doesnt express humour, happyness or content, it can as in your case express sorrow, however this is all in your head, sorrow is so intensive for you, your brain chooses to express it as laughter, in order to protect you from the more intense sorrow you would feel.

I saw a friend laughin his ass off, literaly rolling on the floor, and I could hear he was really crying inside.

3. Raisedshoulder

:(. I actually tried searching for information about this but it just seems like people are providing lists on what to do to avoid laughing at the wrong times.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I do this too

5. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

tragedy+time=comedy

you just move really quick.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yes I laugh at inappropriate times also. Sometimes it's because I see beyond the tragedy. I have a firm belief in life after death and my views on this are much different than many other people's and that adds to my humor. There are also times when I know it was better that someone died than continue living....even if I'll miss that person terribly.

As I've aged, I tend to be empathize with other peoples suffering much easier and that helps to keep me from laughing. I really find no humor in other peoples misery.

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

IMO this idea can only seem true to someone that has never experienced a deeply painful tragedy. I see it as true only for minor difficulties in life.

There are many events in life for which time does not heal the wounds.

8. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

When I was younger I would always laugh when I got really nervous or upset. Since it made my parents lose their shit, I had to cut that shit out.

I started concentrating extremely hard on not laughing for a while. Eventually, I lost the bad habit.

9. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I think it's a defense mechanism. I tend to make jokes to lighten the tension. Not always successfully.

10. Toxica

Toxica New Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this.

I know what you mean. It's so annoying.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Laughter is a release of stress. That's why jokes have unexpected punchlines, and why people laugh at them.

12. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I can't help it but funny thoughts always just pop into my head when I am in serious situations. Next thing you know I'm trying to hold back a grin/smile, but everyone can see it. The more I try to hold back the grinning and jokes the harder it is to contain them...

I could give a fuck less though, that's just who I am. If anyone doesn't like it then they can leave.

13. Raisedshoulder

Yes this is something I do also. I keep thinking of funny thoughts. Like when I was in the bathroom at work and I kept thinking about that gif that had Lars (Metallica) shopping at Armani and it had text that said "Bargains imprisoning me! All that I see absolute savings!...."