Anyone know where i can find a guide/tutorial on setting up linux box as a router?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D1G1T4L, Apr 5, 2003.

1. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

so i have a linux box with 2 ethernet cards, 1 connects to a hub, the other to my dsl modem, i have a few other comps connected to the hub as well

is there a guide somewhere i can read which teaches how to set up the linux box as main one/connection and as a router sharing connection with the other computers?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

3. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I don't want to be stealing way from D1G1T4L's post, but I did have a question though..

If you have a T-1 line coming into a router (it's going to be an Adtran Router), and the ISP is going to give me 8 IP's, do I need to use NAT? Or will I just be able to setup every computer with their unique IP and leave it at that.

Second question, where would the firewall be placed.. Would it just be better to have each computer run their own firewall on each of their machine or take a Linux box and put that between the HUB and the T-1 Router and use that as the house firewall.

4. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

all right thx

how long do you think it will take me to set everything up after i read http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO/NAT-HOWTO.html

?

also (i didn't read the guide yet, i'll read it after i have more time) what kind of configurations will i have to do on windows machines in order for them to connect using my linux box?

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Fresh install of linux - 1 hour
    Install updates to linux - 10 minutes
    configure network cards - 20 minutes
    set up firewall and NAT - 10 minutes
    connect all the wiring - ???
    setup windows machines - 5 mins each

Give the internal NIC of the linux machine an IP of 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0

For each windows machine give them a statis IP of the range 192.168.0.2-50 subnet 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.0.1

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I'm thinking T1 to adtran, 10baset to hub/switch, then out to all the internal machines since they will each have their own IP's. You will only need to use NAT if you have more machines then you do IP's.

If you are worried about security then throw Zone Alarm or something on all the internal machines.

EDIT: In that situation I really don't see the need for a linux firewall box.

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

yea i already have linux installed and one network card, i need to install 1 more (i have one, just didnt stick it in yet heh)

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

cool thx

1 more question (for now).... i have redhat 8.0 .... instead of reinstalling to 9.0 or whatever is the latest version, whats the best way to keep the OS Up to date... i know there is a GUI update utility in x windows, but whats the best/fastest way to do it?
    is there some command you can just type when not running x-windows?

thanks in advance

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/getting-started-guide/ch-updating-pkgs.html

That is the instructions on how to use the Red Hat Network and agent. I know there is a command line interface to it, but I can't think of what the command is.

Since I am such a huge fan of apt (the package management system for Debian) the first thing that I do with a fresh Red Hat insall is setup up a version of apt that has been ported to work with RPM's.

http://apt.freshrpms.net/

All you have to do after installing that is use the following 2 commands to bring your system up to date:

#apt-get update
    #apt-get upgrade

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would say it isn't really vital to keep the OS on a machine that's just a firewall/router up-to-date. Hell, mine is running Mandrake 6 or 7...

11. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Sure its OK to have a firewall that doesn't have any security updates. :rolleyes:

We're not talking about keeping up with the latest releases, we are talking package updates.

12. Penguin Man

Yea, I suppose.... Meh, I'm lazy.

13. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

well just because i said i need to set it up as a firewall doesnt mean it wont have other uses..... ;)

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

what do you mean by latest releases? like kernel updates? what else? i am also wondering how i can do that :big grin:

15. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

heh it sucks that you have to register with an email address if you want to have updates for redhat

is this same thing with Suse, debian, freebsd, etc?

16. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i think it's

"up2date"

17. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

New releases are like new releases of RedHat. Eg: 7.2, 8.0, 9.0

There is a way to upgrade from one to another, but I personaly would rather just start fresh.

Nope, RedHat is the only one unfortunately.

That's it.

up2date -u

IIRC.

18. Penguin Man

Yea, I thought of that later... See, my firewall is a Pentium 133, so when I hear firewall, I always assume it's slow like mine ;)

19. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Heh, my linux box this summer was upgraded to a dual P3 550 with 1GB of RAM, so it took on the roles of firewall, webserver, and a means to improve my shell-programming abilities. I still only use a fraction of its CPU and RAM potential though :o