WEB Anyone know what the laws are with fonts?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Mar 2, 2010.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I assume if a designer uses a paid font in a logo, and you buy the logo from him, you're free to use the logo containing the paid font wherever you want. What if you want to use the same font for text on your website? Can you buy just one license ("1 computer") of the font?

Do you have to have any proof that the designer paid for the font you're using in your logo?

2. White Stormy

As far as I can tell, you're free to use a licensed font however you want in images, but every computer that uses the font to create the images requires a license. You can't buy 1 license for your company and then install it on 5 computers. You need 5 licenses.

At present, I can't find any straight answer for the legalities of embedding (like with @font-face) licensed fonts, but the safe answer is not to do it. While you can use the font images pretty much however you want, what's not legal when you license a font is to give someone else access to the font file. Using it in CSS would do that, since it would essentially download a copy of the font file to the user's computer. You should only embed free fonts and fonts that you completely own. I don't know how it would work with the JavaScript/Flash font implementations, though.. I guess it depends on if they give the user access to the actual font file.

3. ge0

ge0 New Member

1001fonts.com bro

4. White Stormy

5. ge0

ge0 New Member

thanks