Anyone know what happened here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ameter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I left my computer downloading several files via utorrent last night. They all completed fine. I also had an essay loaded via networking off my laptop, and then later closed the laptop without closing the essay.

Woke up this morning, and every five minutes or so the desktop was bleeping at me (error sound). I checked, and utorrent was complaining that it couldn't write it's resume file, that there was a checksum error, etc.

I chose cancel from the retry/cancel options, and it popped up a few more times, then suddenly a bluescreen and reboot. First reboot, windows ran chkdsk and removed some invalid indices to files and so forth, which was about what I expected, and then bluescreened before reaching the welcome screen. I tried safe mode, same deal.

Since this wasn't getting me anywhere, I booted into my linux partition and tried to access the two NTFS partitions (C and Data partitions, both off the same SATA drive.) Linux gave an error saying that there was an unexpected restart, and the partitions were still 'open'. I force mounted the drives, and was able to access all the information on them. I rebooted, and this time windows got to the welcome screen, but bluescreened and rebooted as soon as it loaded the desktop after I logged in.

I tried safe mode again, and it seemed to have hung (about 5 minutes with no drive activity and no change after listing device drivers). I unplugged the USB cable connecting the printer (I don't recall why, but one of the error messages at some point had hinted about improperly removed hardware being a possible source of problems, although nothing had been removed.)

This time windows booted fine, but ran chkdsk again, no errors, everything seems to work perfectly, and I was even able to plug the printer back in without any issues.

I plan to reformat and reinstall everything when I get home from work tonight, as I don't trust the stability any more, but I'd like to know wtf happened.

2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Oh yes, running XP Pro, 32-bit, Using a quad core (Q6400 i believe) CPU w/ 2GB RAM. Windows main and data drive are off a 250GB SATA drive, linux off my old 80GB IDE drive.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like it fucked itself when it went into standby mode. In any event, if it managed to restore the Registry from the backup copy it keeps hidden somewhere, then your stability should be just fine. I'd use it for a few days before deciding whether to wipe it.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I was planning on wiping it soon anyways, as it's been this way for over a year, and hasn't been wiped since I changed the motherboard, CPU and GPU

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

So after a format and reinstall, Firefox 3 crashes frequently, although exiting and reloading fresh makes it not crash. Still getting corrupt file errors for other, unrelated things.

I'm beginning to suspect failing drive/motherboard controller :mad: