Anyone know radio unlock codes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tink187, Jan 3, 2005.

1. tink187

tink187 OT Supporter

I had to replace the battery in my Chevy Malibu, and now the radio is locked. :wtc: The dealership charges $60-$80 to unlock it. Anyone know the code or where to get it? (free)

2. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

When I took my Accord to get an oil change, they printed me a sheet of paper with the engine code name, tran code name, etc etc and the radio code and demobilizer key code was there. Maybe ask them to print a sheet about your engine?

3. tink187

tink187 OT Supporter

I'm never buying a Chevy again. The dealership wants $75 to unlock the radio. :rolleyes: I've found several sites that offer unlock codes for $20-$30.

4. tumultuous tumor

tumultuous tumor Single and loooooooooooonely.

They're just tryin' to make money off of you. My honda dealership tried to do the same thing. What you need to do is get the ID number from the radio and call the service department. Tell them you need the unlock code for your radio since you just changed your battery. That's what I always do. But I'm not exactly sure about Chevy.

5. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Guest

wait, what is this abou tyour radio being locked? wtf is that all about, you paid for it and now you cant use it? isn't that illegal?

isn't that also like them shutting your car off and saying you can pay them $300 to turn it back on? that's an outrage.

6. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

No, it's an anti-theft measure. It's supposedly to make the radio useless to thieves.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My volvo has a similar thing... But if you go and be nice to the parts-guy or service manager, they'll give you the code for free.

8. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

i doubt you are going to be able to get the code for free. On chevys that actually utilze their theftlock you need to have a whole host of things to get it unlocked. none of which any dealership anywhere has on file. Basically you have to go through a few steps to get a id number off od the radio, then you have to obtain a phone number to gm services or something like that, then you have to supply an updated dealer code (which they seem to change very frequently). After sitting on the phone for a bit, and supplying a bevy of info, they will give you the unlock code. But the fun's not over yet you then have to go through about 2 or 3 more steps to enter the code they give you. after that you are finally free to listen to the radio.

Understand why they charge at gm now?

9. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I'll assume you've checked your car manual and/or paperwork you have on the car.

I bought my car used, and the radio code was written in the manual in a designated radio code section, not sure who put it in there though.

10. tink187

tink187 OT Supporter

I finally have music. I had to pay some guy $20 to retrieve the code for me.:hs:

11. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

have you guys ever heard of anyone stealing stock headunits :ugh:

12. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

yup

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yep. I would never buy a stock HU, but it's a big industry -- with prices sometimes being much higher than aftermarket units that have more features!

14. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Yes, they can be sold very easily.

Ebay....search for oem radio or cd player, etc. Depending on the make and model, they can sell for anything from $50 to $300 or more.

15. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I went through the same thing with mine in my Cavalier. Dealer actually did it for free for me. GM Theftlock actually has a phone number, but you need a dealer code, and I couldn't see it when he dialed it.

Maybe if you "help them" they will "help you". Hold the 2 and 3 button for a few seconds, and a code should appear. Write it down.

Then, press (maybe hold) the fm/am button and another code should appear. Write it down.

mine was like 234 774 or something like that. Took those numbers to the dealer, and they got me the code, 1482 I think.. Once you have the code, just use the clock set to enter. Hours button to enter 14, minutes button to enter 82 then you will get a message that says "SEC", then press power.

Since I provided the dealer with the numbers, and did the "labor" myself, they just gave me the code, isntead of charging an hour of labor.

Good luck.

16. ap

ap New Member

Click here if your browser does not automatically
    My dealer did it for me and for free and in like 2 minutes :)

17. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Yea, I highly doubt it's that much of a process. I was just going to call every mitsubishi dealership in the country until someone gave it to me but I got it for free the first one I tried.

18. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

my oem bose HU is 1000 bucks, do you think someone might pay 200-800 for a hot one? ummm ya

19. Synner

Synner New Member

Shit man, I used to make a living off hot equipment. Not sure about chevy, but I know at least ford actually has the code printed on a sticker on the stereo. At least the 4 that I had did.