GUN Anyone know of a good edged weapons defence class?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

We touched on this lightly over the last 5 weeks in our weekly DT classes but we havent ever really gotten into it deeply.

So, I thought since im most likely to get stabbed at work I should probably take the training into my own hands.

All the instructor says is " If the offender knows how to use his knife/shank whatever he is probably going to kill you if he wants to."

I refuse to believe that so I want to expand upon this very basic edged weapons defence they taught us and actually become proficent at it.

Anyone have a good recommendation?

I don't want to learn how to knife fight, I want to learn how to defend against someone who knows how to knife fight.

2. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

What part of the US are you in? We offer a 2 day integrated knife/gun/hand course a couple times a year if you're interested in traveling to OR.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

4. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I live in south texas lol, that would be a hell of a trip for a 2 day class.

5. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

i often wonder what benefit these one or two day training classes are. I'm not saying there is no benefit to them but I know from years of training in martial arts you may get the basic idea of what you need to do in a short time there is no way to really get a mastery of it in such a short time. WHile a class is valuable, it's really necessary to continue the training after the class

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Which is why good instructors will give you a set of skills in that 2-3 days that you can work on your own.

And which is why a lot of people who are serious don't take just one class.

7. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

He's right to a pretty fair degree. Anyone who has familiarity with their blade weapon will be at an advantage against someone unarmed or even similarly armed. Someone who has actually trained with that weapon will have a lethal advantage.

I've fenced for more than a decade. While it's not knife fighting, many of the principles of melee combat with weapons are there. I'd make quick work of an unarmed person even with my Benchmade just by using the basics of drawing reactions from people and getting them to open their defenses. Melee fighters like strikers, fencers, kali practitioners, etc will have disturbingly fine-tuned spatial awareness and sense of distance.

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

This. There's pretty much no way to defend against somebody who knows how to fight with a knife without knowing how to fight with a knife, aside from "be far enough away that you'll have time to draw and fire your gun".

9. Joe_Cool

I'd suggest classes in kali, silat, or krav maga.

10. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Hmm, so the only real defence is a good offence is what you all are saying?

11. Joe_Cool

That's true too, but not exactly what I'm saying. You can't learn how to defend against somebody trained in knife fighting without being trained in knife fighting. That's like saying you want to learn how to defend against a pro boxer, but you don't want to learn how to box (for the sake of the analogy, let's keep it in a boxing context. Yes you can defend against a boxer by taking him to the ground, but other than "shoot him", there's no analogue in knife fighting). You can't learn to defend against the attacks a boxer will bring without training in boxing. Likewise, you can't learn to defend against the attacks a trained knife fighter will bring without training in knife fighting.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I think that's why he's asking about a class....

Defense and offense can go hand in hand in our mindset as self defense "students" but surely a defensive knife course will teach Jim how to fight with one.

13. Mint

Mint Active Member

I'll tell you my reaction if someone pulled a knife on me while I'm completely unarmed. I'd run

If you're completely unarmed, and the guy is even a LITTLE coordinated with their adrenaline going, chances are you might not die, but you WILL be lacerated, and it if its anywhere near an artery. Chances are you won't walk away from the situation.

Training with fake knives in Kali and all those other martial arts is nice. But you need to realize when you're in the REAL situation, and that guy is fighting at 100%. Unless you can overpower him completely, you WILL be cut.

This all only applies when you're completely unarmed.

Cliffs:
    If you can escape a situation where you're unarmed - and someone else has a knife. Escape, don't play bruce-lee. Chances are you will be cut.

14. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Exactly. A 2-3 day class, heck even a 14 day class, won't teach you all you need to know about knife fighting. But what it will teach you is the basics that you can practice at home and with others. Just like shooting, a lot of it is learned muscle memory.

Also, don't focus only on knife skills, knifes go hand in hand with empty hand, impact, and improvised weapons.

15. Joe_Cool

Fixed. :o If somebody has a knife, I'm either shooting or running (in that order of preference) unless there's absolutely no way to do it.

16. Joe_Cool

I guess I should clarify - I mean if somebody is credibly threatening me with a knife. I wouldn't hysterically run away from the cafeteria or something. :mamoru:

17. mstad

mstad New Member

lol, ban sporks.

18. sprite

sprite Active Member

Steve Tarani is one of the edged weapon guru's. He used to travel around quite a bit but I don't know about currently. When I trained with Randy Cain he mentioned two other trainers by name, and he said Tarani is the main for all things CQB knife. He is affiliated with Operational Skills Group (www.opskillsgroup.com). Their website is long winded on talking about their proficiencies and trainers, etc... but is essentially useless for finding out the who/what/when/where of actually attending a class.

Southnarc is also highly regarded for any type of close quarters combatives and you can check out his schedule at http://www.shivworks.com.

19. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

+1 (or 2?) on southnarc. Gomez is working on getting him down to South LA for a PUK/ECQC class. I will be there. :x:

20. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Well running away is almost always going to be option number one for me, oc is option 2, fight and hope not to die is option 3.

Shooting isn't an option because I work in a prison and I cant even have a gun in my car in the parking lot.

All the firearms are outside the perimiter in the pickets so unless it happens on a rec yard or in the field im on my own.