Anyone know of a command line Dialog Box?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So I've got a batch file that downloads the most up to date program file from an ftp site and I even went to the effort of finding the location of the installation via DOS (I know, I'm hella old school). Part of the reasoning is that VB is often blocked so I decided if I could write it in batch programming. I've got it all done but it would be nice if the I could inform the user of that with a dialog box - much like msgbox for vb I guess. I could try and run that but who knows if the security measures will prevent it. I was also thinking of net send but I don't know the computer name or the user. Any ideas?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

%computername% contains the current computer name and %username% contains the current user name (on NT, 2000, XP at least)

So net send %computername% "message text" would send a message to yourself. Works in batch files, of course.

You could also write a compiled application to take command line arguments and display a dialog box. And I'm sure there is probably one already written somewhere.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

Never done a compiled application - something tells me there wouldn't be much point in all my convoluted batch programming if I learned how though :rofl:. I just thought there might be rundll call or something along those lines to do what I was thinking of. Or like you say, find a program that is already written. Messenger is a good idea but so many people have turned that off due to the spamming. The only thing I can assume is the installation directory and the operating system (W2K). I've seen installers send something to the windows display but never thought to figure out how they did it. It's too bad the easiest options are ones that rely on technologies that have been squashed by hackers

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

5. 5Gen_Prelude

VB :(. I can do that what I need to do in one line of vb but I can't be certain they'll have the libraries installed. Thanks for the help though - I might try playing around with it. I hate trying to create something not knowing what tools are available because you just know it only takes one oversight to fuck everything up.