anyone know of a cheap long range WLAN solution?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Big_Luke, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Big_Luke

Big_Luke serious as dick cancer

something like the MDS iNET 900 radio but cheaper that has a outdoor range of around 15 miles.

2. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

What will this be for? Personal Home to Home connections? Business connections? What kinda speeds are you looking for. The MDS iNET 900 would not be my first choice. It is not even 802.11b. It uses FHSS and 900 Mhz frequencies... Why not just piece your own network together??? Buy your basic Bridge/Access Point/Repeater (whatever you need) and then a few Amplifiers, a few Antenna Adapters, and 2, say, 24 Dbi Parabolic Dishes and set it all up...

Just be sure to do your math if your here in the states cause you wont wnat to go over the Power Limits set by the FCC and then get caught violating regulations.

3. Big_Luke

Personal home use. I don't kneed anything blazing fast. Like 512k or 256 would be max. I think the MDS used 2.4 Ghz. Are you saying I can do this buy just buying two access points like just a D-Link or Netgear and amplify the signal? I didn't know you could do that. you know of any websites that will tell you how?

4. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Yes. Although I would use something a little nicer. Maybe an Orinocco AP of sorts. As long as you can adapt the antenna connections and hook up a new high gain antenna with the appropriate amplifiers, easily done. I will look for some sites...

5. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

god bless the cantena, doing it yourself, and using a nice base AP are the best ways to go in my opinion, ornaco and cisco have some nice products out there.

also for the love of god secure your wifi as much as you can, its so sad (and yet exciting) to go wardriving and find that 1 in 30 - 40 wifis have no protection and the ones that do its bearly anything to stop someone. make your own linux based router on an old computer and have your wifi its own subnet, or lock it off from the rest of your network.

6. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Just search the web for info... There are plenty of sites that explain exactly how they created their long range connection. The longest link I have heard of that still stays within FCC Regulations for power output using 802.11b was 31 miles. Was for an Island off the coast of California. Of course it is not as easy as ssetting up an AP and turning it on. Your'e gonna have to tune stuff in and such. Alot of math... If you don't live in the US it may be easier. Just up the power...

Here is a site that I found using a quick Google Search...

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/05/03/longshot.html

7. Big_Luke

thanks for the help. I've done my research and I think I can make this work. I will keep yall updated and post pics if I can get this to work.

8. Big_Luke

one more question... Doing long rang, would I get better signal doing 802.11 a, b, or g? I know the speed difference it makes but going over long range probably isn't going to matter much. I see the O'Reilly page, they used B and that is probably the best to use. anyone have any opinions?

9. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

802.11a does not have the long range that 802.11b does. Adding G to the mix will just complicate things. I don't think you will be able to use the faster speeds of G at those distances... Be just as slow as B anyways. G uses different modulation techniques for the higher speeds that could cause too much loss...

I would just stick with 802.11b hardware...