Anyone know anything about the BCP called Seasonale?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ariesgirl, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ariesgirl

ariesgirl New Member

Here's the thing.... I went off of BC in December. I was taking Desogen, a generic brand. I wanted to go off it so my body could have a break from 3 straight years of hormones. Problem is, the boyfriend and I have never had sex without a condom until I went off the pill. We both absolutely hate it, so he convinced me to get back on the pill. I went to my doctor and she gave me seasonale which allows me to have my period 4 times a year. My boyfriend seems excited about that, but I wonder if its safe. Im 19 if thats makes a difference. Im guess I just want to know if anyone has any information about this pill or knows anyone on it. Im just trying to get as much info as possible before i start taking it. Anything would be helpful Thanks guys.
    Erin

2. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

People have been doing that with conventional pills for years. It probably isn't really very bad for you. Shouldn't you have discussed all of this with your doctor before you took the prescription? Please don't be afraid to ask questions. That's part of her job.

All of the prescribing info is here: http://www.seasonale.com/

Be careful researching it on the internet. There are two very hot biases against Seasonale - the Catholic / Pro-lifers, and the Feminists. There are a lot of overly charged websites out there that could freak you out. Pay attention to the source.

Basically Seasonale is just the same hormone based pill you were taking before in a three month pacakge rather than a three week package. You will probably experience more spotting (bleeding between periods), and it will probably take your body a while to adjust. You'll have to stick with it through the mood swings and spotting, but it should be worth it eventually.

3. ariesgirl

ariesgirl New Member

Thanks for the reassurance. Believe me, I need all the help I can get. I know what you mean about the biases. I asked my roommate about it who is Catholic.... BIG MISTAKE I think Im gonna call my doctor and go over a whole list of questions with her. Until then Im just trying to get all the info I can. Thanks for your help.

4. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Safe, yes, however, I like the certainty in gettin my period every month. Id be pretty fucked if I was 3 months pregnant before I missed my period to find out....

5. ariesgirl

ariesgirl New Member

Yeah I think that is one of the things my boyfriend worries about. we've had a pregnancy scare before and it sucked. I dont know.... I still have a lot of researching to do on it. All this advice is helpful thanks

6. Bella

Bella New Member

I"m the same, if you get preggo dont you have 3 months to "decide" what you are going to do with it? I wouldn't like having the thought of oh god I might be preggo but I wont tryuly find out till 2 months from now. I suggest the depo shot. you get your period every month and you get the shot once every three months. I'm going to check it out

7. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

THe shot has more side effects then the pill, or shall I say more severe ones, includin weight gain and extreme moodiness. The shot should really only be used by those who can not remember to take the pill. I strongly recco stayin away from the shot unless you cant remmeber to take the pill each day, otherwise, the effects are not worth the convience of not havin to swallow that pill each day. I have heard so many horror stories. Good luck in whichever you choose

8. ariesgirl

ariesgirl New Member

Thanks guys. I was actually thinking about going on Depo until I talked to my friend who was on it. Her mood swings are out of control and she strongly suggested I dont do it. So ive gone against that idea. Im just hoping seasonale wont cause problems when i do actually want to have kids.

9. Qckrun

Qckrun New Member

I hope everyone is right... dont want no babies :p

10. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

i tried it for 6 months and HATED it, it was like i was on a light period the whole time. it REALLY sucked. the doctor kept telling me that it would stop once my body got used to it but i didn't want to have my period forever so i went back to regular birth control.

11. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

There is really no health benefit to having a period every month aside from the whole pregnant/not pregnant aspect. I've had a tubal and I skip my periods all the time with the pill (Seasonale isn't available in Canada yet).

It's perfectly safe to be on a pill like Seasonale.