Anyone Know Anything About Old Musclecar Radios?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by alltracman78, Apr 13, 2009.

1. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I've got 2 old radios from American cars, I'm guessing 60s or 70s.
    I'm trying to find out if they're worth anything or if I should just chuck them.

Only 1 has any kind of ID on it, it's a Ford radio [FoMoCo].
    I'll have to to back and get the # off it.

I can obviously get other pictures if needed.

If no one knows anything about these, does anyone know a good place for me to find out?

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Google.

3. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

The one on the left looks like it came from a ford galaxy, the one on the right looks like a piece of junk.

You might be able to find someone to buy the left one on ebay, but don't count on earning big bucks for it.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

You never know, some people pay $$$$$$$$$$$ for original stuff.

Hell, uncracked dashes for Datsun Z cars go for like 2 grand at the low end :dunno:

5. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

You're exactly right.

I'm selling my 280zx 1983 on craigslist, one chick called me wanting to buy the car for $1400 for the dash alone, she was going to junk the rest of the car :o (car runs perfectly)

It's got a red dash and she wanted black, so she didn't buy it :wtc:

I'm selling it because I want to start working on my 1970 240z some day, original paint job still a pretty good interior, but it needs a new motor, someone took the heads off and shit and I don't know why, even though all the parts are in the trunk I want a new engine regardless...

I don't want to put a LSx engine in it, I feel like that's just following the herd too much, I'd rather have a good condition stock engine or a nissan engine of some sort.

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Get the numbers then google/ebay to see what they're worth. They look to be in reasonably good condition, so someone looking for one for a resto may pay good money for them. I've been searching for an original AM/FM stereo radio for my Chevelle and will have to shell out between $200-400 for a decent shape unit, some rare ones fetch almost a grand.

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

VK or VH engine then :dunno:

Not many people have done it, and you get to stick with nissan.

8. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I was honestly wanting to stick with an inline 6, I've already owned a 500+hp car and that was fun and all, but doesn't really make much sense where I live where the police are fucking bat-shit-insane about pulling over anyone for any minor offense.

I am considering moving back to connecticut though, and if I do I'll be taking my 240 with me and I'll put something bad-ass in it :cool:

If not though, I'll probably go with an inline 6 for now. I really don't want to get arrested again :hs:

9. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Holy shit, $1,400 for the dash :eek3: And to think my Grandpa has a MINT '83 280Z with 60,000 miles in his garage waiting for us to have room in ours for it. :noes:

10. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

lol at the resistor wire

but get the numbers and see what they are for, some people will pay good money for a restorable condition stock radio

11. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yeah I thought it was pretty odd too, apparently she's restoring her own 280zx.

Damned nice cars, some models have a talking chick that tells you the doors are open and stuff. Pretty much all z cars are worth a good bit of dough. I loved mine handled awesome and was very easy to get the rear end loose and control it. It was cool because you didn't have to try too hard to get the rear out, and when it did go out it wouldn't upset the balance of the car at all it just easily and comfortably let out; you could have a cup of drink on the dash and it wouldn't spill over.

I remember letting my friend drive it in a subdivision that wasn't finished yet but has really curvy roads and he got the rear end out several times and even admitted and I quote "hot damn this car is giving me a hard on." :rofl:

I can't wait to get my 240 on the road, it's supposedly much better than the "soft" 80's 280z's

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

L series + ITBs then :cool: