anyone know anything about mr2's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NCS, Jul 25, 2006.

1. NCS

NCS Active Member

the latest models. im considering one as a commuter car thats also fun.

as far as kicking the rear end out when you drive, how is it? i dont mean mad dorifto skillz or anthing, just having fun. i heard the 90's models were hard to control in a drift of any kind

thanks

2. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I know pretty much everythign there is to know about the Spyder.

If you do plan on buying a Spyder, I would suggest spending a lot of time in a parking lot just flogging it to find it's breaking point. They are hard, if not impossible to get back into control if you lose it. I've been driving them, racing MR2's amateurly for 3 years now and have hundreds of hours of driving time with them. They are hard to drive.

If you want, you shold go check out my MR2 for sale in the yardsale forum. If you want something "fun" but also a daily commuter, I'd suggest getting the MKII's because they will be much more of a "highway" car than the Spyder. You have to mod the spyder some to make it have car passing abilities. Plus the MKII makes you look like a rich cockwad.

3. NCS

NCS Active Member

i appreciate the post. i can't buy your car as i live in europe.

im getting rid of my 94 miata. it has too much vibration and twitchy steering input for me to just kick back and drive to work in a straight line without getting tired.

i'd really like to replace it with a small 2 seater roadster and the mr2 is the only thing i can think of. i've driven one on the freeway, seems OK. honestly there's enough power for the type of driving i'll be doing on there.

I can also get a mk2 turbo here, there's one on sale... but i dont get the "rich cockwad" look you're talking about here. its an older car, i don't think it gives off the rich cockwad look at all. sure for car guys, but im talking general public.

4. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

I was talking mostly just about mine because it's just that badass. :p

5. Otterman

Otterman New Member

90's models are not good for drifting at all because of the engine being in the rear. I have no idea about the spyders. I havn't heard of any drifting being done by them.

6. tofuthecourageous

tofuthecourageous OT Supporter

as for drifting, an mr2 kicks out very quickly. it has loads of oversteer. that doesnt really help it though because you have to be super quick on the counter. you probably wont be able to hold a drift very long in one, you can get major angle even at low speeds but be prepared to spin out, alot.

7. 1.8

1.8 Guest

The short wheelbase and rear weight bias in the mr2 makes it a very hard car to drift. It can be done, I suppose, but IMHO if you want a car that's fun to "kick the back end out" or power-over, or whatever you call it, get something a bit longer and more balanced.
    You say that you want a roadster, so that limits your options a lot, and I don't have any good reccomendations except for maybe a second gen rx7 or an s13.

8. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

It can and has been done but you have to have extra weight up front and you have to KNOW what you're doing with the suspension. Otherwise, you'll just kill yourself. It's not ideal because the weight distribution KILLS the angles that you'll want for drifting.

And besides, drifting is for fags. Road Racing > *

9. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Aside from the fact that drifting is fucking retarded to begin with, all of the MR2's are hard to drift. They have a fairly short wheelbase, a strong rear weight-bias, and in slower-speed turns, enough power.

You can get a limited angle of drift, but you just will never get near the amount of angle you can get w/ a decent F/R car. You can get the rear end stepping out a bit easily, but it's not quick or unexpected IF you are careful. Don't try the e-brake, as it generally sucks. Use decent weight-transfer to get the slide started, and use the throttle to carefully control how far it steps out. Throttle steer, learn it.

10. Cuidado

Cuidado New Member

:hsugh: ... the aw11 is a very slideable car. it's a matter of throwing the car around.

11. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

Yes it is, but it can't get the desired "slide" angle that most drifting is scored on.

12. NCS

NCS Active Member

guys im not talking about drift competitions im talking about fucking around when im on the road for shits and giggles.

13. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Well the mr2 can do that, but one wrong move and it'll bite you in the ass.

14. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Have you driven a later year MX-5? The second gen is a little tamer in the road manners department, especially '01 up.

15. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

16. dew

dew Banned

i wanted an mr2 but the fact that its a 2 seater sucks .. i love 4 deep racing :coold:

17. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

As a general rule, mid- or rear- engined cars will get away from you faster if you are hamfisted with them. On the other hand, it's not like the Spyder's limits are supercar-level, it's just a little more nimble than a Miata, which is dead easy to drive hard.

18. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Don't you :hsugh: me. :squint:

Yes, it can slide. Done correctly, it can slide well. But the fact remains that with that much weight being slung around in the back, it can't get the same angles as a comparable F/R car. If you step the rear out too far on the MR2, you simply can't recover; it will keep going, instead of being "easily" caught w/ throttle like a F/R.

19. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

drive a NB Miata.....much better daily than what you have now, especailly with a hard top.

20. k0in b4hd

k0in b4hd New Member

mr2s are fucking sick cars but once u lose control of the rear tires youre fucked