Anyone know anything about 95 Ford explorers.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lowneon, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Lowneon

Lowneon Author of Illegal street racing for dummies.

Ok,
    I've been looking for a cheap SUV to get for a daily driver. I found a deal that may be too good to pass up. A co-worker is selling a 1995 Ford Explorer XL 4x4. It has about 98k miles on it. It's 4dr, automatic, power everything, full leather, BFG tires, and in pretty good shape. On a scale of 1 to 10, i'd say it's a 7. I can pick this up for $3500. Blue book on it is around $4800 or so.

Here is what I found. The ac works, but it's barely cool. It's R134 so hopefully just a recharge will help. The lady i'm getting it from said it blows pretty cold in the mornings and cool evenings, so i'm thinking either a recharge or evaperator.

The engine temp gauge didn't work at all. It never moved. It stayed all the way down on cold the whole time. The engine doesn't seem to be running hot though. I popped the hood and it wasn't any hotter then a normal motor after being ran for 30 minutes. The ran was on and working. Coolant temp sensor maybe? Would that have anything to do with the ac?

When braking, there seemed to be some good clunking and creaking noises from the front end. I'm thinking maybe just some worn out bushings or even normal noises. The suspension as a whole did seem to be pretty noisy. Is that pretty normal on the 4x4 explorers?

The interior was in pretty good shape. A few tears and stains, but it's a 95. I'm not too concerned about all that. So what do you think. Still worth $3500? Also does anyone know any good explorer forums where I can do some research on the truck? What is the biggest size tire I can put on there without lifting it any? Is there any way to run the engine codes and see if there are any codes that pop up? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i believe thats prolly the body style with the black trim paint that "connects" the rear windshield glass to the two side windows that always fades and stays silver on top, and fades into the original black paint :o

3. ls1pimp

ls1pimp OT Supporter

I own a 94 XLT so i could probbly help alittle. The ac system probbly just need some more R134 collent in it. The clanking noise you hear when braking is probbly worn bushing. I had to replace mine at 130,000. do you hear when you go over speed bumps? 30x10's are about as big as you can get with out lifting.

4. Hurricane

Hurricane E=mc^2

I bought a '91 about a month ago. While I can;t comment on the '95 specifically, you can try checking out http://www.explorerforum.com

They'll probably have a lot better information for you there.

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I have a 96 w/ 99k on it. No problems. I also have 31x9.5/15 wheels on with plenty of room. People have put 33's on w/ minimal trimming and no lift. Even if you do want to lift, all you have to do is crank the bolts in on the torsion bars and throw some shackles in the back. Check out my site for more info:
    http://www.fordexplorer.net