Anyone know about the 73-87 Chevy trucks?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mikel, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Mikel

Mikel .

Specifically, how stout are the 4wd systems? Are they solid axle trucks? What are the weak links? What year was an overdrive tranny introduced?

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I know very little but growing up my dad had a 78 GMC. If I remember correctly they had a solid axle. The OD came sometime in the mid-80's, can't remember when exactly.

3. SFAs on um'. The 4wd systems were awesome. The 700r4 trans was in my buddys 83 fullsize, I'm not totally sure when it was first introduced tho.

4. Mikel

Mikel .

Cool, I just wanted to know how strong the 4x4 systems are. I don't do anything too extreme like rockcrawling or anything, but I do go offroad.

5. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

4wd systems are really good, u can get the full time system in the 73-79 i believe, but not definate on that, i know 77-79 for sure. half tons come in either regular or heavy duty, heavy duty being alot better cuz its closer to being a 3/4 ton but still listed as a half ton. weakest link on the 73-87 is the steering box bracket, its welded to the frame and it tends to crack off easily. i think early 80's, like 82 or the OD tranny came. the trucks are all solid axle.

any other questions?

6. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

My dads 1/2 ton was a heavy duty. He found out when he went to replace the rear drums and found out they were for a 3/4 ton. The part time 4x4's have the lock-outs on the front hubs. Before the GMC my dad had an early 70's Jimmy that had the full time 4x4 and it had no problems either. Sorry I can't remember more but we're talking 20 years ago.

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

there pretty much bullt proff ive jumped mine off teraces ran it into trees shot it with paint balls i did burn the clutch up tyr ing ot do burnouts with a trailer on it off raod with shitty tires its not to bad it was all i do is beat the piss out of it it wont dies it will even do 4x4 burnout sif you rev it high enough before dumming the clutch

it has been ran into 2 times one time toaling out a ladies car dont no damage to the truck the second tiem ssome one tried to push it accors a parking lot in gear

i love my beater

8. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Guest

Ive owned a bunch of these trucks
    ('79 1/2 ton 2wd 8 ft bed 350ci,350th;
    '79 1/2 ton 4wd 6ft bed350ci,350th,np203 converted to Part Time;
    '79 3/4 ton 4wd 8ft bed,350ci,400th,np203 converted to PT;
    '76 blazer 4wd,350ci,350th,np203 converted to PT;
    '84 3/4 ton 4wd 8 ft bed,350ci,400th,np208;
    um.....)
    stock the 4wd systems are good.cool thing is you can swap in 1 ton axle's under your 1/2 ton.....
    the early '80's 4 speed auto's sucked BUT can be rebuilt using better internal stuff,and become a good trans....
    weak links.....frame by steering box(mentioned earlier)..they make aftermarket braces to strenghten this area.....
    there is a huge aftermarket for these trucks too

9. whydah

whydah Guest

you guys need to pick up a copy of Four Wheeler or 4Wheel & Off-Road magazines, they talk about about that stuff every month. some of it is archived on the web. fourwheeler.com and uh, i think it is 4wheeloffroad.com

10. whydah

whydah Guest

oh, the weakspots for overdrives when they came out was towing. later editions of the tranny and aftermarket companies like b&m fixed the weakspots

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

Cheapest truck to lift on teh planet.

Front axle was either a Dana 44 or Corporate 10 bolt under the half tons, which is primarily what you'll find.

Rear axle was a C-clip Corporate 12 bolt or another 10 Bolt, depending on the year.

New Process 203/205/208 transfer cases depending on what year as well.

TurboHydro 350/400/700R4 for auto tranny selections. SM465 for manual, with one other, I think.

If I were you, I'd look for a 81-91 K5 Blazer.. :dunno:

its stout, but any kind of mods, lift/locker/power and some things need work. What are you going to do with it?

12. Tx

Tx Guest

ALL 73-87 Chevy Pick-ups came stock with a solid front axle, the front 10-bolt was the weakest link in my opinion