A&P anyone know about speedotron? v.isthisagooddeal?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by derekOT, Apr 16, 2010.

1. derekOT

derekOT New Member

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

you need to find out its age. i personally dont feel good about buying used power packs. because rarely can you test them without teh heads

3. derekOT

derekOT New Member

Thanks for the reply Al,

Do these things have a finite lifespan? Almost like clicks on a shutter?
    For sure I would not want to buy without testing, but even if I tested, what would I look for?

Ultimately do you think I'd be better off just picking up a pair of the new einsteins over this and two heads?

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

honestly anything that has a capacitor and has to be charged and discharged has a finite lifespan.

And in regards to the einsteins to this, its not really comparable. Apples to oranges really. One is a self contained monobloc, where the other is a pack and head system.

If you really need the power of a pack and head, i would suggest the Zeus system if you want to go the cheap route, or elinchrom setup.

I suggest the Elinchrom because i love their modifiers. Zeus because its inexpensive bang for the buck, plus you can use any PCB modifier.

If you are just lookign at inexpensive lighting in general, i suggest the Einsteins. I have two on preorder and cant wait!

5. derekOT

derekOT New Member

:bowdown:You're the man Al :bowdown:

Thanks alot for your help dude :)

I'll stay away from these for now, I would love the quality of light, the power and the recycle time from the speedos but they probably just won't be practical for me right now.

Plus I love shooting anywhere I want with the vagabond 2