A&P Anyone know about acrylic arts?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by odog402, Jul 11, 2004.

1. odog402

odog402 New Member

My girlfriend used to do them in HS, and she loved it but she said she stopped because she doesn't have the supplies anymore. Her birthday is coming up and I wanted to get her some supplies. I don't know jack about this, so I was hoping someone could let me know what do get exactly. where do you get it and what do you actually paint acrylics on? Thanks.

2. mle

mle OT Supporter

canvas...

acrylics are cool, because you can paint them on anything... I mean like card board, plexi-glass, metal, etc... The shit dries fast... You can get all you need at any local art store, look it up on dexonline.com.. :bigthumb:

Good luck.. :)

3. odog402

odog402 New Member

Hey, thanks a lot man. Didn't think I was gonna an answer here.:)

4. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Liquitex acrylic paint is the absolute best to get(if you dont want to spend an arm and a leg)

get canvas board. They are inexpensive, the exact same as a canvas w/ frames...but a lot...A LOT cheaper.

I got 15 8x10 canvas board's at Aaron Brothers & Michaels for only 7 bucks...damn good.

and get some good brushes made from hair...dont get the cheap plastic imitation ones...because they are less expensive...but SUCK...I hate them
    Look @ Blick Studio's for a lot of good deals on paint and supplies...constantly save 40%+ ...like a 90 dollar Prisma Color Set is only 62 there.

I think their site is : dickblick.com <I think thats it

5. veinglory

veinglory Guest

I use acrylics on plain cartridge paper, it does the job and costs a lot less.

6. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

canvas is the best IMHO

never used cartridge paper...only cartridge paper i know of is about the same as printer paper :dunno:

You can also buy some illustration board, that works good with acrylic aswell...slightly cheaper than canvas boards...but might as well spend $.50 more and get the canvas :bigthumb:

7. DrSiD202

DrSiD202 New Member

Dont buy any of the liquitex BASIC series,
    there are alot of great liquitex products, just dont get BASIC
    with that said.

this list is made up of all the things i use just about everyday, key ingredients
    things you will need, cheap stuff first:
    1. paper plate for mixing paint on/paint pallet, if u do buy one from art store they're 20bucks for glass. i wouldnt buy anyother one
    2. pallet knife, for mixing paint old paintbrush will work but not close to as well
    3. medium grain sand paper, one sheet
    4. a big paintbrush, ie. one you could use on your house. for gesso application.chances are, you already have 1 of these.
    5. acrylic white gesso; for prepping surface
    6. liquitex matt medium
    7. big tube of white
    8. big tube of black
    9. small tubes of red, yellow, & blue, you can make just about any color with these
    10. canvas is best. you can even buy your own & stretch, etc. . plus, u get the best finished look.
    11. Brushes, with brushes if you go to your art supply store they can help u find all these products. ask if there are any good brushes on sale or any cheap brushes that will last a little while and can really push some paintaround. might save you 25 bucks. as far as brushes you need one extra small size round, one medium size flat, i forgot what the diagonal flat one is called; you need one medium of those.
    12. !most importantly!
    pray to god she uses all the stuff :x:

oh yea really cool idea, you can buy canvas and paint. cover her in paint and get her to roll around on canvas. then attach to strecher bars and hang on wall/ works great for girlfriends birthdays, your birthday, a christmas presant, valentines day, all those great hollidays that guys can never remember what tehy're girlfiend wanted in the firstplace. keep in mind that they do make body friendly paint, but you wouldnt want acrylic crammed in any oriphis b-for u get any crazy ideas. lol.

i went a little overboard on this post, but. thats basicly what you need to get started.
    if i left anything out. please add to the list.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  8. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

Im draw way more than I paint...but I've used the Basic Liquitex sometimes(normally use the better stuff)...and I never had a problem with it :dunno:

Also...you can buy pre gesso'd canvas' or whatever material you want :bigthumb:

...also...that's a lot of materials(and you said she used it back in HS...which I assume she doesnt paint much)...

I'd stick with a wee bit less...incase she never gets into painting as much as you'd think/want...afew brushes(1 or 2 big, afew med, and some small...and a pallet knife...and the paint...with some type of medium to paint on)

or

buy what DrSi said....he paints more than me I assume

9. odog402

odog402 New Member

Hey, thanks for taking the time to let me know what's up! :)

10. DrSiD202

DrSiD202 New Member

yea you can buy pregesso'd canvas's, but i stick another coat on regardless.
    those canvases that you will be saving money on have staples all the way around the sides. so you need some kind of frame. you can spend the extra 5 bucks or whatever to get the better looking canvas, if you dont know how to make your own. let her use your bedroom wall. thats free

11. DSAzeppelin

DSAzeppelin New Member

bedroom wall's work great :bigthumb:

12. red^star

red^star Guest

Acrylic Sculpting mold is also really fun :o