Anyone know a good deal about Samsung Syncmaster 710n?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

I keep getting this error message from the monitor whenever I play a game with a refresh rate past 75hz or set my refresh rate to anything above said refresh rate. The monitor supports 1280 1024 or whatever at 75 so I'm thinking it'll be fine at 800 600 85hz but that error message wont go away. It keeps popping back up when I close it. I need to fix this so that the error message goes away. Is this possible?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LCD's are not like CRTs. You should run them at their native resolution only.

3. Accido

Accido New Member

:-\ but what if most games run at 80hz or something?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes:

run it at the native resolution...

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

6. Accido

Accido New Member

Yeah, I've never really been able to settle for less than what I want from life.

7. Accido

Accido New Member

Well that sucks. A lot of games, even stupid games like Jewel quest, run at higher refresh rates than this monitor can handle. :eek4: I guess I should stick to CRTs.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You need to listen, man. CRTs and LCDs are VERY different. I see flicker on a CRT at anything under 85Hz. That's because CRTs have to contstantly update the screen, so it flashes on and off. The idea is to update it often enough to make the image look fluid. However, LCD's are not like this. All pixels are always on. If your LCD supports 75Hz, you'll be able to get 75 changes per second -- which is WELL above the distinguishable threshold for motion (more than double, which is 60). Think about it, a movie is about 23-25fps, and that looks fluid -- so you're talking about getting 75fps at least.

They are different technologies, which have different advantages and disadvantages. One of the reasons LCDs are softer on your eyes is because they don't flash.

And I would stop worrying about the refresh rate... You need to run the native resolution of 1280x1024, otherwise images will look distorted.

9. Accido

Accido New Member

:cool: Thanks for the info. But this particular LCD monitor displays an error message that wont go away when I run software and games that by default run at higher refresh rates than the monitor can handle. Some software lets you program the refresh rates and some do not. That was the problem I had, unless I played the game in a small window of course. My sony Trinitron 21 incher looks like butter at 85herts and I do notice a slight difference from 70 to 85 and a huge difference from 60 to 85. :dunno: I guess I'll just tell the person who bought the LCD that she can't play games that run past 75 herts, Like Yahoo games Jewel Quest which is apparently too powerful for her computer. :mamoru:

10. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

It should just bring the fps down to 75hz if the game is trying to do more than that. Maybe this is a problem with vsync or something.
    And I have never noticed a difference in anything above 30. Stable fps is what really matters, IMO