MIL Anyone in the Azores right now?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RuskeR, Oct 3, 2005.

1. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I'm not in the military, but my father was and is now retired. I was born in the Azores and plan to go back someday. Anyone living there now, or has lived there recently?:bigthumb:

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I never lived there, but I've been on a few cargo planes that have made refueling stops there. Seemed to be pretty calm and peaceful.

3. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

Yeah most people don't even know there is a grouping of islands out there. It actually looks like a mistake on the map.. :big grin:

4. JSin

JSin New Member

Wow, that's the same story as me. How long did you live there after you were born and did your parents tell you anything about it. I was told: 1. I was born early like all the babies are, due to the cobblestone roads. 2. The movie theaters don't have roofs so we could watch movies from our apartment next door. 3. Cows ruled the road and took their sweet time going places.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Isn't it windy as shit.

6. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

I remember when we landed the plane actually fishtailed on the runway from being so windy.

I've never lived there but I have visited. I really enjoyed it too :)

7. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I've landed there 3 times and it was dead calm each time. But I imagine an island can get pretty windy.

8. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

No clue... last time I was there the pilot was under instructions that if he didn't take off within 20 minutes he wouldn't be allowed to due to the wind/storm approaching...

Then again that didn't phase me like my first time riding in a C130. :big grin:

9. Big Red

Big Red New Member

my best friend is there, stationed with her hubby, who is in the air force. i guess there is like one guy in the army on the base adn they always joke with him about the army of one thing. i remeber when it was hot as shit in tx, and she called me and said it was like 70 degrees there.

10. RuskeR

RuskeR ReksuR

I was born there, and liced there until I was about 3. We moved back to the states and lived in MA for a few years. I then went BACK to the azores until I was in about 4 grade. So, I do have alot of memories of that place and hope to go back one day. My father married my mom there who happens to be 100% portugese. My dad is a new yorker, and my mom is portugese. Funny thing is you can't see any of the portugese in me. :dunno:

I always think about going back one day.