Anyone here work nights? I just had to make a shift change...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by quickone, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quickone

quickone New Member

If anyone else does how bad does it fuck up your sleep patterns? I am going to be starting to work 7pm-7:30 am 3 days one week then 4 the next...on my days off I want to try and get myself back to sleeping at night.

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

I have to work a week of overnights in a rotation, it normally takes me a day or so to get back on track if i do it right. If I don't, it takes me a week to get back sleeping at night.

For me, the solution is going to the all you can eat bbq place and eating as much as I can. I then fall into meat induced coma at a decent hour. Works like a charm

3. quickone

quickone New Member

Good idea...The upside is one week i'll have a 3 day weekend and the next week i'll have a 4 day...I think the switching from nights to days when i'm not working is gonna fuck me up the most.

4. zedekias

zedekias Active Member

Nurse?

I'll be doing nights soon. :hs:

5. quickone

quickone New Member

Nah, it's an IT job.

6. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

It's pretty fucking horrible man! I did it for 5 years. I was tired all the time no matter how much or little sleep I get. Then on my days off (weekends) Im wide awake during my normal work hours and all my friends are either tired as fuck and want to go home and sleep or none of them don't want to hang out at all as they know that there's a pretty good chance they'll be up with me all night. It felt pretty fucking lonely at times. The only pro I can think of is hitting the gym right after work. You pretty much have the gym all to yourself.

7. Acciaio

Acciaio New Member

I worked nights at Fedex filling trucks full of boxes crammed with dvds. Lasted about a week.

It was seriously annoying if you live with other people. They didn't seem to understand that I needed to SLEEP DURING THE FUCKING DAY THANKS CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE UFC FIGHTS THANKS

8. quickone

quickone New Member

Hopefully I can deal with it...I got a decent gig so far. I only live with the wife so I won't have to worry about loud ass roommates.

9. Striker22

Striker22 New Member

:rofl::rofl:

I did a 10p-7:30 or 8 depending on the day. Fuck that shit

10. Foty

Foty Active Member

I work late nights. Usually home by midnight or so. Sucks when I have to be up early for school the next day, but I do it. I hit the gym around 11am. Nobody there, so it's pretty good.

11. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

this

and that too

12. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

At least you don't work nights during the weekend then go to school during the day, I'm still trying to find a good groove for gym time but I usaully just want to sleep.

13. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I've been doing it 4.5 years now. 7pm-7am. If I wasn't on 12's I wouldn't have any trouble sleeping, but now I'm doing well if I get 6 hours of sleep. It's easiest if you can keep the same sleep patterns, but that means that you have zero social life and can't ever get anything done. If I'm wanting to do stuff during the day I'll usually go right home and sleep maybe 4 hours then get up, my friends that work the same schedule will just stay up all day then sleep the next night. Once the sun comes up, so long as you stay outside its pretty easy to stay awake.

I'm to the point now where I can barely stay awake at night, so it really sucks. I'm hitting the caffeine like never before just to stay awake at work and then survive the drive home, but I also now have a gf and when she's over on my off days I usually go to bed with her way earlier than I would if she wasn't there, so I can't keep a consistent sleep pattern.

Couple other things - always turn off your phone's ringer when you go to sleep, your friends and family will never understand that you NEED SLEEP and whatever stupid bullshit they want to talk about can wait. During the summer you will never get enough sleep, and during the winter you don't see the sun for days or even weeks on end, and you will start to go bonkers because of it. And last, cover your bedroom windows with trashbags or something to block the light. Your body wants to sleep when its dark, so the sun being up makes it hard to fall asleep.

Other than all that, night shift really isn't too bad. Usually there isn't shit going on so it makes the job easy. The downside is if things go to hell, you have to be really good at whatever it is you do since everyone that can support you is home passed out and will hate your guts if you call them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.