MMA anyone here work as a doorman/bounce?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Martin Atchet, Aug 30, 2009.

1. stories? pro's or cons?

2. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i think Vulgar has been doing it for a long time

3. sweet i just started as a doorman at a local bar. liking it a lot so far.

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I don't but a LOT of the people who train at my academy all bounce at a club nearby.

5. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I worked as a floor bouncer for almost a year at Electric Cowboy in Springfield, MO.

It's cool for the first month or two, but then it gets miserable.

Real fights occured maybe once a month, and if you aren't in the area, the other bouncers have it taken care of before you can get to it.

The music becomes redundant, especially when they play the same sequence each night. Hearing "Lolli Lolli" after "Cha Cha Slide" for 10 months straight got old VERY fast.

The crowd is 70% the SAME. You'll typically see the regulars in there doing the same shit more than you would want to. The same guys getting in fights (until you ban them), and the same people dancing the same way during the same songs.

Even if you do the coolest takedown in history, the other bouncers are picking the guy up and taking him out before you can choke him in any way. If you beat on him, you have no business being a bouncer.

You'll meet a few girls, but usually the gossip spreads through employees and regulars and you'll get a "whore" reputation. The super hot girls I liked didn't like me half of the time because they heard rumors that I slept with some nasty girl (which was only true half the time :wiggle:).

I quit after 6 months, then came back a month later to work another 4 months. The last few months I got drunk almost every night I worked (which was only on the weekends), which isn't smart to do in that line of work. I took a few punches that I normally wouldn't have taken because of being drunk, which caused me to miss training a few times.

The pay blows too. And most of the other bouncers are douchebags who took karate in the 3rd grade and couldn't grapple if their life depended on it, which is the best skill to have in a crowded bar. You boxed for 15 years? Cool. Punch a customer and see how quick you're back on the street looking for work.

98% of the job is standing around, making sure people don't take drinks in the bathrooms (if the rules apply), watching minors, shoes on the dance floor, no drinks on the dance floor, no smoking on the floor, follow the retarded ass dress code that I don't agree with, cutting people off, and the biggest one of them all....PICKING UP EMPTY BOTTLES AND GLASSES!!!!

Try it, you may love it. Most guys end up hating it. I'd never do it again. And definitely don't be a door guy checking ID's all night. The sober people at the door don't fight. The door guys get hardly any action. The shit happens on the floor with the drunk guys bumping into each other and hitting on each others' women.

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Never worked as a bouncer, but I used to keep the bars stocked with beer and liquor, change trash, etc. I got in more scuffles walking across the floor than almost any other job I've had.

7. TheEspionage

TheEspionage New Member

[y]3cJTHF7CZrQ[/y]

8. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Yep worked as one for 18months about 8-9 years ago..

Its not too bad more boring then youd imagine busy nights for us would be 3-4 scuffles. I got stabbed with a broken glass ashtray got 14stitches. Literally got as many sluts as I could handle until I got a GF of course. Dislocated some guys shoulder when he decided to through himself to the ground while I had him in a shoulder lock dumbfuck then decided to try to hit me with his good hand so I had to put a knee on his chest until the cops come. Some guy pulled a knife on me when I wouldnt let him in that was good fun. But yeah the money was alright and the hours suited plus it got me into grappling.

9. The money is decent, and the hours fit in well with school and bjj. I can't complain so far because the people I work with are real cool. The crowd sucks, and I do work the door. I get the most shit for 1. cover charges, 2. checking IDs. So many people get pissed when I ask for ID. I also have to not let certain people in (i.e. guys that just got out of jail with a department of corrections ID ha). It is definitely interesting. You don't really have to know all that much wrestling or grappling when there's 3 of you on one dude. I didn't start training to do this shit anyways, I started training for myself, this is just paying the bills.

10. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

worked as one for about a year but i applied and got a job thankfully at a high end place so not a ton of fights... more just doorman work like concierge shit.

11. Socrates

Socrates New Member

At the door there are usually a few bouncers together, so you nearly always have backup. On the floor it's a different story, depending on the club. On Saturday nights, it would be very packed, and sometimes the other bouncers wouldn't know there is an incident occuring. I was on my own quite a few times, sometimes for lengthy periods of times, and my grappling saved my ass. The bouncers who couldn't wrestle or grapple got hurt a lot it seemed like.

If it's a huge brawl and the fighting customers outnumber the bouncers, grappling (and probably striking too) makes a huge difference. One time there was a brawl with at least 15 customers (and 10 bouncers, including door guys who helped) and some guy just started wailing on me. I was coming towards him and he was backing up hitting me. Before I could shoot on him, some guy grabbed me from behind in a rear naked choke and pulled me to the floor. Had it not been for the bad position drills, I probably would have been choked unconscious before the other bouncers knew what was happening.

It sounds like we've all had different experiences, but I think grappling ability is something that all bouncers should possess.

12. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

i hope not all bars in the states are like that, al the bouncers up in edmonton dont have to pick up empty bottles or watch anything like that. Pretty much stand around and makesure people dont start fighting, and kicking people out..

two of my friends bounce, meet alot of people and its prettymuch an extra money job that gets you hooked up with alot of industry people. and it all depends on the bar your at, if your at a shitty bar that isn't affiliated with any other bar you dont get as many incentives compared to the big bar companies

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

Got a buddy who works as head of security in Victoria, BC. He loves it- meets girls, gets into all other clubs free no lineup in the city, and he is similar to michael koors in the sense he can disarm a potentially violent situation without resolving to violence.

14. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

i would like this job

15. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

There's a lot of guys at the gym who bounce around town at clubs and shit. It's really fun walking by a club the bouncers saying, "YO! What's up?!"

It's kind of funny walking by a club that's being bounced by dudes you breakdance on in class. But i guess that means shit when you have to try to breakdance on 4 of them at once.

16. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

That's what the first thing bouncers are supposed to do. According to a bouncer friend of mine the last thing any bouncer wants to do is get in a physical altercation where everything he does is scrutinized if anything should come of it.

He also says having good memory is important if the police are involved and require you to give a statement.

17. Yeah I definitely think it's something that bouncers/whatever you wanna call em, should have. I have not had to get physical with anyone, however its only my first week on the job.

This is definitely a people person job. And Baltimore has a lot of interesting people haha.

18. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Maybe for extra cash, shitty cash at that. Most bouncers I know are going nowhere kinda guys. No education, work several jobs, etc. Or, the rare few are students.

Also, just incase this may be you.. A lot of guys who want to be local or federal law enforcement who go into bouncing because they think it looks good on an application since it's "security". A lot of depts don't take anybody who's ever bounced before. Bouncing to most law enforcement agencies is simply a job that looks for confrontation & violence. Keep that in mind.

19. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

kevin nee used to bounce and he's going places :bowdown:

20. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

21. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Funny you mention this, we always had a great relationship with the local police. A few of them actually worked crowd control at big events with the company I worked for.

22. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I worked the floor in a college bar. It wasn't bad, the worst part was dealing with the drunk ass girls who puke everywhere. For the most part the guys made it outside, but the girls just puked in the middle of the floor/couches EVERY NIGHT. We had to clean that up.

I'm trying to get on as a door man at a bar near where I work at during the day for some extra hours. I've got to wait until mid November to find out if I got accepted to OCS :( So I'm kind of in a holding pattern that sucks. I miss real work(with real money).

23. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

I worked at the college bar, it was alright for some side cash for a student. easy as fuck to pick up girls.

fights rarely started and if they did it would be 4-5 bouncers dragging a guy out.

we didn't have to pick up drinks or any of that bs. Just basically stand around all night making sure everyone's having a good time, and if they look to drunk then you gotta ask em to leave.

If you're going to work at a ghetto club then it's alot more risky, i've heard countless stories about weapons being used, the worst part is AFTER work, you just hope that the knucklehead you kicked out won't remember you when he and his crew see you at the mall or on the street alone.

24. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yep, things are not always as they appear on the surface. This dept is a "no bouncer at all".

25. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

saw a guy on the street that didn't recognize me thank god, but him and his friends were spillover from some of the shadier clubs in the area that got busted that night by the cops and he ended up at our place.

called everyone racist and crackers because our prices were too high :hsugh: then threatened to go out to his car and get a gun and come back and "make us all shut up for good." luckily these guys are usually just saving face to their friends... but fuck did i make sure he didn't see me on the street.