Anyone here using Alpine Type-R full range or components?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Whalephat, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

The system in my car is slowly becoming a homogenous Alpine setup, primarily by attrition. I started out with a mix of components from various manufacturers and now am down to three: Alpine (head and subs), MTX (amps) and Kicker (components).

Lately I have been thinking about switching my Kicker components out for some of the Alpine Type-R full range (coaxial) or components but haven't really decided if that is the path I want to take.

So... anyone here using Type-R stuff? If so, what are your thoughts?

The ones I am looking at in particular are:

SPR-174A 6.5" coaxial
    SPR-574A 5x7" coaxial
    SPR-176A 6.5" component

Other suggestions are welcome. :) My emphasis is on sound quality, not SPL ... although the twin SWR-1021D subs do hammer nicely.

2. 04

04 Guest

I installed a pair of the Type-R 6.5 inch coaxials in a guys car about a year ago. They were decent speakers, but IMO they had too much treble.

3. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

I have the SPR-176A's. Theyre powered by a JBL P80.4. They sound pretty damn good for only being 300 bucks for the speakers and the amp all together.

4. Whalephat

That's what I have heard about them too. I might audition some Boston Acoustics Rally Series today. Maybe the new Infinity 6800CS as well.

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

they kinda lack in mid-bass, but still sound great. personally i'd go with the boston rally's.

6. Casca

Casca Guest

7. Whalephat

Ended up ordering some CDT Audio Classic CL-61 components. I auditioned some the other day and the midbass was powerful, midrange was natural and the tweets were very mellow -- all in all they sounded great!