MMA Anyone here train in the Russian art Systema?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ghostrider4450, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Anyone here train or have trained in Systema? If you are unfammiliar with Systema, it is a special Combat Training that is trained to the Spetsnaz Spec Ops in Russia.

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

we train some systema principles at my dojo, but not systema specificly

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

What can you tell us about it?

4. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I've trained with a systema guy before, its great stuff.

One of the first things I learned was a shock absorption drill where someone jumps off a chair or table right on to your stomach. If you do it correctly, it's really safe and there's no pain. Afterwards I started doing that at every party I went to :cool:

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

:rofl:

6. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

haha thats awesome, feet first??

7. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Yup. The trick is to exhale and relax your stomach at the moment of impact. Ideally you want to be able to apply this to getting hit in the stomach, but It's still hard not to tense up.

8. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

haha yea, i learned that. not by people jumping on the stomach though, lol. just with punches (i always tense up still, lol). it always reminds me of van damme and the coconuts from bloodsport. haha

9. Ghostrider4450

Systema is about pure movement, and reacting without thinking about every move you make. The idea is if you are well trained in systema, you dont think, you do. It becomes natural to defend against an attack. The idea is not to practise one paticular attack, but rather to learn the principles of basic combat through constant drills. The idea is to get the body fammiliar with deflection and adaptation.
    Every person has a different way of fighting, and systema just fine tunes and hones those skills that you already posses. Thus you dont need to weight 200 pounds and be jacked to be a good fighter. Im 5'8 and 153 pounds, and I feel confiedent in my skills. But confident, not cocky. Thats what systema is all about. You also train in situaltional awareness, and improvised weapons identification and use, in all environments. You learn to feel confortable in any environment, because attacks dont happen in dojos with mats. They happen in a parking garage, where it hurts to get your ass thrown on the pavement. They happen in close quarters, like a bathroom stall. You get comfortable defending yourself while standing in water, and while on the ground. One hand or two, you learn how to make it work, and improvise.

Yeah the same applies with fighting against somone with a chain. The idea is to cradle the shot into inside of your elbow, and bring it back behond you in a shock absorbing motion. The concept is so simple, yet goes againt our natural reactions, which is what you train to override.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  10. Ghostrider4450

No one here huh? Bummer.

11. Ghostrider4450

Keep in mind that to become sucessful as a mainstream business, alot of martial arts such as Tea Kwon Do and Karate have become watered down versions of their eastern counterparts, ergo they are less effective at truely teaching one to fight.

12. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

This is true. Ive seen the TKD club in my university practice countless times and I can NOT imagine stuff like that going on in a more hardcore environment in Korea. (meaning skinnyfat guys and obese girls wearing black belts skip kicking paddles and "sparring" listening to techno music. And also paying 50 dollars for an everybody passes belt "test".)

Same applies for all of the eastern styles. If they are practiced intensely, and I mean like 5x a week 3 hours each time+ with absolutely NO forms/meditating/bs then sure the fighter that will emerge will be quite good. BUT, and this is a huge BUT, the people who are willing to put in that much work, usually will choose a more effective style that already applies this type of training as the norm such as wrestling, boxing, bjj, and mt.

13. Ghostrider4450

Yeah during my 2 1/2 years of training in Systema, I went everyday of the week for 2 hours a day, with one on one instruction. So it added up to alot of experience and training for a relatively short duration.