A&P anyone here print on Moab Entrada?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I've been using the bright version of this paper, and I see they now have a 'natural' version...

Wondering if any of you guys have seen both and can tell me the difference....

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

off topic but i saw some adorama prints the other day and they looked pretty good. i'm gonna give them a shot. :coold:

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

cool.

Lemme know how they come out.

I've been completely sold on matte photo paper these days. Starting to hate anything coated.

Getting a full color gamut, real blacks and no reflections ftmfw!

But I just signed a new client, and am going to be printing a ton of my Philly stuff.

Not sure which paper to print it on. May just have to go and get some samples....

4. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

I've used Moab Colorado and Ilford Galerie papers and I've found that the Ilfords are MUCH better.

The finishes and the color balance on the Ilford are far superior, not to mention cost per sheet is better. I don't mean to say that the Moab is bad, it's a fine paper and gives good results, but the Ilford is even better in all respects.

I've used the Galerie Smooth Pearl and Gold Fiber Silk and the most noticeable difference (beyond the paper finish) is in blacks and reds. Blacks on the Colorado from my Pixma Pro9500 look dull and flat where on the Galerie they are deep and rich. Reds seem slightly orange on the Moab where they are are bright and accurate on the Galerie. The finish on the Moab is way too smooth where the Ilford is a more traditional satin photo paper.

Now all that said, I haven't used either brands rag papers yet and I haven't been able to do custom color profiles for my printer and papers. My suggestion would be try to get some samples of Moab Entrada and Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine Art and compare them.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Thanks Jonny,

I'm specifically looking at the rag papers right now, but I'll definitely take a look at the galerie papers too.

I think samples are the way to go.

6. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

The Galerie Smooth Fine Art is a rag paper. Give it a try, if it's anything like their other papers it's going to be very good. Also hit up Mojito, he uses Galerie as well and he may have used the rag paper.

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Right. Thats what I meant, but not what I typed. Galerie fine art is added to the list.

8. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

My favorite paper is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. Comes in different thicknesses (i prefer the thicker ones.) It's pretty toothy though, so some types of work/images might not look right on it.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, the photo rag is great paper too. Do you use 310 or 308?

What about the Epson Ultrasmooth fine art?

10. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

I use the both. 308 for singlesided or 310 for doublesided