Anyone here play rugby?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by deadbolt, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

im going to start playing. ive never played before.

my edurance isnt where it should be. im gonna start sprinting sessions on my lifting days to help with this.

i need advice to really get my endurance up

2. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

2000gt used to play, might still

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

endurance is the least of your worries, dude. you gotta worry about having the balls to sack a mother fucker with no padding on like football. have fun with that shit, i got plenty of balls but I also have a brain (and a vagina).

4. TheDim

TheDim New Member

rugby is one of our national sports, its a tough game, people who play and dont take it seriously get drunk all the time, and get "big" that way, then they are just fat cunts who cant run worth a shit and end up as prop or front line of scrum guys..

the ones who take it seriously, do alot of HIIT, sprint training, these guys are like 18 stone (250lbs or so) of raw muscle, and can run 100m in like 12s.. i've played winger for university team and local teams here, and if one of those motherfuckers hits you, your in a sorry state for a while :big grin:

depends on what position your wanting to play, but your gonna wanna be fast, dunno what the standard is around where you are.. but if you have strength, you wanna work on speed, and viseversa

endurance wise matche are 80 minutes, but its more like running around for 100, because of stoppages and the game wont finish at the 40 or 80 til the ball is out of play. obviously you wont be running all that much depending on your position, but its still physically intense, i'd suggest you started jogging and swimming to build up aerobic endurance, sprint training helps alot for anaerobic endurance too

5. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

TheDim - if any, what was your weight training routine like?

6. TheDim

TheDim New Member

focused on core stability, power and strength really, olympic lifts, deadlifts, squats, high weight low rep... its alot about explosive strength moreso than endurance, i guess it is similar to any american football weight lifting programs, for strength anyway.

7. Plan B

Plan B New Member

I will be playing next season :dunno:

8. intoxique1

intoxique1 New Member

endurance / fitness will make or break a team ...where do you guys play?

I've play wing for University of Maine @ Farmington for about 3 years now. Love every second of it

9. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I've been playing lacrosse for about 10 years now, and I'm aggressive as shit when need be.

I'd LOVE to play rugby, but the club rugby team at school, despite working VERY hard, drinks way too much. They all get in good shape, can run far, and lift hard -- but you're basically required to get drunk as fuck afterwards and even drink beforehand so you don't "hurt as much".

A bunch of my friends play on it, and they love it, but I do NOT play these sports to socialize. I'll go to a party, bar, concert, whatever to socialize -- but I don't step on a field to make friends.

Pretty much everyone who played last year got a broken nose, fingers, arm, etc. etc. Maybe they just play stupid.

But like someone above said, I'm agressive, but not stupid.

10. pkr

pkr Guest

I'd love to play rugby. How do you get started? Do you have to be enrolled in a college that offers it? Can you go through a league? What is the age req. etc etc.. ?

11. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

did you have to tryout or is it open to anyone?

12. Sphere

Sphere New Member

Unless your a big mofo, I would not recommend it. My buddy just fucked up both his shoulders with rugby and he's a big dude.

13. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

:ughwerd: it's like that here, too

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

sounds like some guys you wouldn't want to run across on their weekend drinking binge. anybody who does that shit for fun doesn't really see a fist fight as something to fear :o

15. TheDim

TheDim New Member

same here in england, at any level until you reach pro, even semi-pro do it, its fucking stupid, one of the reasons i stopped playing was because of it

16. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

i see lots of players under 200lbs. you dont have to be huge. the risk of injury comes with every activity. im not gonna live worrying about that shit

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I played in high school (illinois state champs baby!).

I just transfered to a college in the city that has a team and the coach wants me to join but practiced conflicted with a couple classes I needed. I will probably play for the school next year though.
    Rugby is an incredibly fun sport to play!

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

i never really watched it much but don't they have a bunch of huge guys for blocking and a bunch of faster guys for running, similar to our football?

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

More or less. But Rugby is well known for having huge guys that are damn fast. Similar to what you might expect from a middle linebacker or fullback.

20. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

The main thing is you're gonna need to be fit and quick. Speed will vary through the positions, but at the higher levels quickness doesn't. The way the game is progressing, every person on the field has that first step and unless you can match you're gonna get cut up. It's also a very physical game so you're gonna need to be solid... not necessarily big, but that never hurts either.

HIIT and sprint training outside the gym and core work + compound exercises (squat, bench, row, deadlift, power cleans - I follow basically a Bill Starr 5x5 of which there is a ton of info online) in the gym.

My typical week looks like:
    Su: off - do what you need to get you're body back into it after Sat. game.
    M: Interval + speed work at the track in the morning. Gym in the evening.
    Tu: Core work in the morning. Practice in the evening.
    W: Interval + speed work at the track in the morning. Gym in the evening.
    Th: Core work in the morning. Practice in the evening.
    F: Gym in the morning. Evening off.
    Sa: Game in the afternoon. Ice baths, contrast showers, epsom salt baths etc as needed in the evening.

Then just look after your diet. If you wanna join a more social club then have fun, but if you want to play at the top levels the after game refreshments are a pint of water instead of beer.

21. dave.b.gtt

dave.b.gtt New Member

one piece of advice..when you are shown how to tackle dont panic..its easier than it looks all it takes is absolute commitment....otherwise injuries can and eventually will occur.

but have fun its a rough game and can be played at with any size and skill level.

i played since i was 7 - 22 yrs old and i was by no means big or fast just had the heart to make takles and run with the ball.

as far as training goes, i was always used to going to practice 3 nights a week and playing a game (on season) on a sat.
    practice consisted of speed drills, ball handeling skills, then role specific training and of course endurence work (hill sprints, sand runs etc.). we also played dummy games were a touch from a players two hands is all that qualifies to make a tackle(ball must then be released). Weight training was to be squeezed into any other free time we had ourselves and was monitored by coaches just to make sure we actually did it..it was focused on heavy lifting and low reps on the major lifts s/d/b.

hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.