SRS anyone here in med school or applying?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zooenthusiast, Dec 14, 2006.

1. zooenthusiast

zooenthusiast New Member

alright so i messed up. my first semester of college and i'm probably going to end up with a 3.2. it's completely my fault, and yes my classes were a little more difficult (16 hours with an honors course), but now i feel completely fucked. does anyone know if i obviously do better the rest of college, if this 3.2 first semester will kill my chances of applying to med school. you can be honest, i can take it.

2. phEight

phEight ...

you are kidding right? you're not expected to be a robot to make it to medical school. i suggest you read up more about medical school beacuse it seems obvious you don't know enough about what you're getting yourself into. Do some research, www.studentdoctor.net is a good place to start. goto a book store, sit down, and read some of those what it takes to get into med school books. My point is, you are ok.

3. zooenthusiast

zooenthusiast New Member

well the average GPA of med school applicants is 3.8, that's why i was somewhat worried.

4. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

Its not just about your GPA. There are other factors including your interest in medicine. You need to kick ass on the MCAT. They just switched it to a computerized test this year so I have no idea what has changed. You're not going to get into Johns Hopkins or Harvard med school but you still have a shot at your state school. What state are you in btw?

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. My MCAT scores are average but my GPA sucks. I just graduated from college, applied to med schools, got a few interviews but didn't get in anywhere in TX. I'm currently working at the medical center here in Dallas hopefully making some connections. I'm so sick of working in the rat race though that I'm going to apply to DO schools and maybe some out of the country next year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  5. zooenthusiast

zooenthusiast New Member

i'm from oklahoma. i'm going to university of oklahoma right now, and because was planning on doing med school here too. i mean, i hope by the end of my undergrad i'll have a higher GPA. i just don't want to have completley screwed my future because of one semester.

good luck with your applications and all as well.

6. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

In the long run, 16 hours is not going to mean a damn thing. Plus it's your first semester. Everybody screws up their first semester. OU has a good med school. I have a friend who just started there this year. She did have a 3.9 undergrad GPA though :noes: She loves it up there though.
    I'm still not sure if its a helpful or not for you to only have one med school in the state. We have 6 public and 1 private school here in TX but we also have much more people applying. I'm also considering moving to a state with fewer med schools but also less qualified students that go to med school.

7. johan

johan Active Member

No, you're not completely screwed. You should go and have a chat with your academic advisor.
    Be prepared to talk about how and why you'll be able to do better because it doesn't get any easier.

8. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Well, if all you're relying upon is your GPA, then you're no good.

Get a good MCAT score, do lots of volunteer work in clinics/hospitals, work for a clinic/hospital etc.

It's more than just grades. I don't think medical schools want robots.

9. zooenthusiast

zooenthusiast New Member

well this is all comforting, and i know i'll have to do better, and it wasn't that i didn't have it in me this semester, it's just that things got in the way basically. so thank you everyone

10. Seadee456

Seadee456 New Member

I've been thinking and this may be helpful to you. If you kick ass from now on, it shows that you are willing to work hard and are improving on your grades.

11. kazzman

kazzman New Member

This is the first sememster it isn't going to mean shit. When I start community college I was at 2.5 or so because I kept taking these classes that I either couldn't handle or dropped. By the end I was able to turn it into a 3.2.

I use to work at a med school here in Nebraska (a fairly prominent one). Trust me, they do look at grades, but that i barely their standard of measure. They base their judgements on the student no the grade. Some of the students accepted into medical are not even science majors. Some have majors in math, business, etc.

12. Well Read

Well Read New Member

Zooenthusiast,
    I would not be discouraged about your stumbling out of the gate your first semester. It's how you adjust and progress from then on. Medical schools look for what YOU can contribute to the field, albeit grades are a starting point in their decision since it's in essence a track record of your consistency and hard work through undergraduate studies. Be sure to bust your hump for the MCAT and do as well as you can since it is also heavily weighted by admission committees since it is pretty much the standard by which all potential applicants are judged by. A decent MCAT score (i.e. attaining a score @ or better than what the students who matriculated into the program) can offsett a slow start in undergrad. Most importantly, the schools are looking for individuals, not drones. In the back of their minds, I'm sure when they assess a student, they ask themselves 'Would I, as a patient, go to this potential doctor?'. That is where the interview also becomes integral. It is also a chance for you to 'brag on yourself' so to speak. So don't obssess too much about your shortcomings and know that you have plenty of chances to redeem yourself. With persistence, passion, and perseverence, (and requisite credentials) it would be hard for a medical school committee to deny someone with those qualities. Good luck in your journey my friend. :x:

Bimz, MS-3

13. johan

johan Active Member

When I was in school, there was a guy who had a cumulative average of 100%. No joke. All he did other than school was play piano at a master level.

He was not accepted.

Medical school is very tough and competitive, and your gpa better be quite excellent. But med schools also want well rounded people, not soulless information dispensing 'robots' as he ^^ puts it.

He was accepted the following year however, as he made efforts to demonstrate awareness of things non-academic.

Remember that different schools have different ideas on who they want in their med schools.

Go talk to your academic advisor. ASAP.