GUN Anyone here have their own shooting berm or small range set up?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Sep 26, 2008.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

How many feet from nearest neighbors yard or house?
    How high, wide, and deep is the berm?
    How long is the range?

Thinking the back part of my property Im getting would make a decent practicing spot for smaller calibers like .22 etc
    I could practice any and every day I wanted :eek3:

Much danger of ricochet?

2. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

*brothers property*
    alil less than 1/4 mile
    berm..not sure.it`s a big ass hill
    300yds max.probaly closer to 250-275
    shitty thing,it runs right next to a swamp.
    now,i`ve been thinking of building alil .22 range on my property.
    i can set the targets up at 50yds.then about another 10-15 yds. behind that,is some thick woods and a decent size hill.i have neighbors across the road.but i`ve shot a few times,just test firing and such,without any problems.i also live on a paved road with decent traffic
    i hear shots every now and then.now opening day of rifle season,it sounds like WW3

3. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Im gonna be living in the country on 5 acres and Ill be over 100 yards away from my neighbors so I dont think they can do anything about it if they dont like it. Not like I plan on shooting at night or anything
    Sides and back of my property are surrounded by corn fields so I doubt Ill get any shit from the farmers

I need to find a place to shoot at 100+ yards. I want to build myself a rifle. Maybe a Remmy 700 or something

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

I've shot out to 600yds @ our golf course and we shoot at night all the time varmint hunting. No official burm though. I do shoot towards the dam when sighting in rifles.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  5. The_Ratt

The_Ratt Hedepnaw

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

My family is in the business of farming, so I have targets laying around in various locations.

Depending on the time of year, and what we are growing, I can get to about 1300ish yards. I could get some crazy range going, but I'd have to be shooting across a state lake, and I'm not sure I want to do that yet (I'd be about 100' off water, but still...)

Shooting into natural backstops (think hills).

I've always been a fan of shooting into low-rock fill type dirt, but have seen guys make some pretty wild rimfire setups using carpet, tires, and other shit in backyard type settings.

7. Initial E

Initial E New Member

I saw some article on this a while back. Definitely gotta check on local laws and noise ordinances. Then the rest is up to you.

I think the article said a U shaped 20' berm is ideal. But most people have 15'

i'll try to find it. The NRA also has a great resource book on building your own range.