Anyone here have GERD??

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GND, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

aka acid reflux? :( My "episodes" are so bad that I :barf: for hrs. and hrs.
    I hadn't had something like this happen in over 4 months and before that it had been even longer.

I think it may of been b/c I ate too late on Weds.- had a chkn. Med. salad. Dunno if it was the dressing/peppery chicken in it or the tomato

I hate this shit! :rant2:

I don't like feeling like I'm being dependent on a damn drug.
    :hs: Back to Prevacid I go until my esophagus better. :sad2:

Anyone else have serious issues with this?

2. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

I have had it pretty bad since I've gotten my illness but I don't use drugs for it. I read somewhere that a tablespoon of vinegar at first sign is supposed to help so I tried that and sure enough, my heartburn went away.

3. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

hmm.. never heard about the vinegar thing.
    Would this be like the first sign of cramping or what? I never know until I wake up in the the middle of the night or morning with severe pains in my esophagus :(

4. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

Some people take it with every meal but I just take it when I feel that acidy feeling coming up my esophagus :o

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acid_reflux.html

It seems that vinegar does indeed work for a lot of people though. I'd definitely give it a try.

5. ND379

ND379 New Member

i started getting it when i was pregnant and i found that it has stuck around. i just take a prevacid when i start feeling it coming on.

6. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

That's what I use to take. I've been trying not to depend on drugs lately :hs: I'm going to have to start taking it again at least to heel my esophagus. This time around it was REALLY bad and I feel tore up :sad2: I'm still in some slight pain.

7. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    my dad's first name is Gerd.

8. Buckaroo Banzai2

Buckaroo Banzai2 leave a message at the beep

Yep I had it really bad. Didnt want to take meds for the rest of my life since I was so young. I had a scope put down my throat and found out I had a hiatal henia so I had no flap covering my stomach opening. Decided to have surgery called esophageal fundoplication. Its where they take part of your stomach and wrap it around your esophagus so it is closed except when you eat. So much better now.

Sorry its acting up for you.

9. S10XtremeNLow

S10XtremeNLow Active Member

i can't remember what i have, its where i believe the stomach goes up into the esphagus (sp) and gives u acid reflux. i used to get it everyday all day, then finally had it checked out. doctor perscribed me Ranitidine which is the generic version of zantac, i used to take 150mg. That worked great, i NEVER had acid reflux when taking that medicine. Since i have been on my diet for about 5 months now, i no longer have acid reflux and don't take the medicine anymore. Might wanna get it checked out. If let go too long it can cause bigger problems down the road.

edit: i have a heital hernia, just remembered :o

10. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

:eek3: how long did it take for the recovery? :sad2: I don't want surgery. :(

My cousin is a Gastrointestinal Surgeon, but he didn't recommend it, but I think I may need to talk to him again about what all goes into that. I have a flap, but sometimes it works the way it should and sometimes it doesn't

11. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

I have had it since I was 14, I'm 23 now. I have to take nexium and axid everyday. The only thing that can fix the problem is to have my esophogus ziptied in a different direction.

12. S10XtremeNLow

what does your diet look like?

13. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

check my training log.

I adjusted my diet when I first found out that I had this stuff about 4yrs ago. Every once in a while something will set it off.. It could be too much lemon, eating too late, something with too much of an acidic level.
    I don't eat chocolate anymore, don't drink orange juice, cut out eating onions, tomato based stuff, cut down on the amount of lemon I put in my water, try not to eat after 7... the list goes on.

My diet is a lot cleaner now a days.

I haven't been on my meds in about a year soo... :sad2:

14. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

I get it when I eat fatty foods. High carb foods seem to make it better.

15. S10XtremeNLow

thats when i used to get it.......i've been eating low carb/protein stuff now, and fruits....no problems at all..... only drink water, occasionally will have 1 soda.

try taking the medicine for awhile so it can try to heal, (while eating correctly) if it comes down to it, might have to have the surgery :/

16. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

I had acid reflux but after losing a significant amount of weight it stopped being a problem. MY horrible diet along with my weight were the main causes of mine. It was really horrible when I had it and was one of the reasons I decided to change my lifestyle. I did take medicine but I am not so sure what it was I just know it worked when I took it.

17. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

I've lost about 25lbs since Feb. of this year so I know weightloss alone isn't why it happened this past time.
    My doc told me to lose weight like 2yrs ago or so. I'd lose some, but eventually when trying to ween myslef off the meds something would set it off. :(

Prevacid works for me so I'll take that again for the heeling part.

18. Buckaroo Banzai2

Buckaroo Banzai2 leave a message at the beep

yeah the only reason I got it is because there was no flap for me(plus I wasnt overweight and did all the required things) and at under 30 I didnt want to know what would happen to my insides by taking meds for 30+ years. They did laparoscopic surgery so I only had about 5-6 sm incisions and my recovery time was under 2 weeks. The hardest part was not eating solid food for the first week and not being able to burp for the first year. I used to get bad stomach pains from the gas back up. :wtc:
    yeah I wouldnt think you would need surgery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.